iPhone 3GS or Upgrade my Mac setup?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by XheartcoreboyX, Oct 26, 2009.

1. XheartcoreboyX macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

Well, i have been trying to decide for days and i though i would handle the embarrassment and ask the "interwebz", maybe another opinion or two would be good :p

I currently have a 1 year old sony ericsson that have a load of problems with battery, network, ect.. (I dropped it a lot when i first got it) so i need to get it replaced, my Mac setup is a uni 13" MB on a stand with wireless keyboard and mouse, i feel like i need a bigger monitor since i spend a lot of time on my computer and i am a photography/graphics fan and newbie.

I have two options and I can only afford one of them atm:

1- Get an iPhone (3GS since i need the better camera, 32GB since the price isn't much higher than 16GB).

2- Get an external HP 24" monitor and a bigger desk (current desk can't take it).

What would you guys do?

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

1) How is your continuing cost of changing to iPhone going to affect you (iPhone plans typically more expensice per month)?
    2) If you drop your iPhone like you did your Ericsson you are goung to need an Otterbox
    3) If you are a "photography/graphics fan" you shouldn't even bother with taking pictures with a cell phone. Get a camera.
    4) Do you have early termination fees with your current contract?

You obviously WANT the iPhone, so buy it. But IMHO, unless it is budget neutral, you'll get a better return on investment with the monitor and desk for now.

3. XheartcoreboyX thread starter macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

- I live in the middle east, Qatar, we don't have contracts here for the iPhone, it's unlocked for all networks, like in Australia, but I mightt register for some 3G networking for a month or two to see if it's necessary, since there is a Wi Fi networking almost everywhere i go.

- I will definitely get a skin and screen protector for the iPhone, definitely and I have been very careful with my stuff lately, actually.

- I do have a Canon 450D, but a good phone camera would be nice for little shots sometimes and for Evernote notes with text in photos recognition (very useful app! for a college student).

- As I said, i am not under any contracts, you just buy the phone and get like recharging cards for your calling credit, i found this method better for me, since i don't spend a lot of time on the phone.

I am sure i would love a bigger display, but i also LOVE the iPhone, as an iPod touch owner, the stuff that you can do with an iPhone are uncountable, as you already know, specially when i will be having it in my pocket all the time, since well, it's a phone.

Thanks for the contribution!

4. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

I'd go for option 2 and pick up a cheap cell phone that can take pictures :)

5. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Ah - I see, financially it is a wash. I'll revise my recommendation. If you can get good network speeds and WiFi, the iPhone will do so much more than just take snapshots and make calls (although a Canon pocket point and shoot will still take better pics). Cinder blocks and an old door make a dandy desk. As for the monitor, save up.

Failing a logical choice, there's always eeney-meeney-miney-mo!

6. Bbusyb macrumors member

Bbusyb

If you get the iPhone, you should definitely factor in the cost of the Data Plan into your expenses.

Even if you have Wifi, a large part of the utility of the iPhone comes into focus when you have Data access all the time. And once you start using the services, you want to be able to use them even when you may not be within range of a Wifi connection.

I was in Egypt for a couple of months recently and was using a prepaid SIM. I ended up spending a fortune on Data as I did not have a proper Dataplan, as while I did have Wifi at the Office and at Home, A Large part of the utility of the Phone was that I could use it to finish a lot of tasks when I had a few Minutes when I was out and about.

If You Do Get the 3GS, consider the extras You'll have to get as well to have a good overall experience

* A Hard Case to protect it
    * Battery pack to get decent usage out of it if you a moderate /Power User.
    * Car / Spare Chargers to keep it topped up.