iPhone 3GS OtterBox watermark

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by rrosebr, Feb 17, 2010.

1. rrosebr macrumors newbie

I have watched several youtube videos about this issue that say that have the end-all fix....but yet in the comments several people say it didn't work quite as well. What have you all tried? Baby powder? Anti-glare screen cover? Windex? Thank you for your input

2. Jmacman78 macrumors 6502

Jmacman78

Antiglare screen shield from Power Support works, I've done it myself, and IMO it's the best solution. I don't like the baby powder trick myself and I got less than stellar results trying it.

I can't believe there are so many threads about this stuff....Antiglare works despite what others may say. End of story.

3. organsoup macrumors member

I just ripped the plastic screen protector out. I'm not concerned with screen protection really but I plan to add a regular screen protector. I'm much happier with the cases built in screen cover gone.

4. lemonademaker macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

In a Van Down By The River! Metro Detroit!
    after taking my phone in/out for inspection(whipe down) every once in a while, i've noticed my watermark has gone away......
    probably took 4 or 5 times in/out ...... for the protection the defender gives me it never bothered me, but like i said it's gone away.....

EDIT: ok i had to go check the phone, i'd say there is probably a mark this size of this typed capital "A", i never see it though especially when the phone is on.......
    just hold out before modification take it out once a week and see if it goes away.... like i said above i bought the defender for the protection and the screen protector helps out with rain/splashes.

5. rrosebr thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried the whole eye glass cleaner idea...no go. I emailed Otterbox to see if they had any ideas...We shall see. Thanks for your input again.

6. SuperKat macrumors regular

Nice

I was thinking of doing that as well. Love the case but the watermark annoys me so much.

7. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

I concur that there is absolutely no watermarking at all whatsoever with the use of the Power Support anti-glare screen shield. That is what I have used since day one with this case and I love it.

8. hchavarria macrumors 6502

I would guess any screen protector would do the trick since it's basically just getting stuck with the actual screen. I am going to buy either an antiglare or privacy screen tomorrow and give it a
    shot.

9. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

It will not work with any screen protector. It has to be antiglare as this is the only kind with a texture to it. I tried with a regular clear one before and you still get the effect. I am not sure about the privacy films though. If they have a matte-like texture to it like the antiglare ones, then it should work.

10. rrosebr thread starter macrumors newbie

Otterbox recommended the video by itsmemorpheus with the baby powder. It works pretty well. I do still have some of the orange peel affect, but nothing like the watermarks I had before.

11. rsmith652 macrumors member

anti-glare is the best and easiest way to get rid of the watermark

12. Rollerbob macrumors newbie

Antiglare the way to go.

I joined this forum only to support the idea that the anti-glare screen protector applied to the phone before putting the otter box on is the way to go. The screen looks great and watermark is instantly and since installing 1 month ago permanently gone. Got mine on ebay <$5.00. My phone is still perfectly responsive to touch.

The physics of the watermark. Two smooth surfaces adhere when pushed together and held by static and vacuum. Ok put talc on your phone, the talc prevents the surfaces from touching breaks the static and vacuum but could be abrasive.

Antiglare screen protector has a "rough" surface so it breaks the vacuum and allows only a small area "the peaks" to contact the smooth otter case membrane and be held by static.

Otter box folks. How about incorporating an antiglare membrane face towards the phone in the Otterbox case???

13. Ironworker808 macrumors regular

That is a most excellent suggestion!

I used the baby power trick for awhile, then read about taking it out once a week and tried that. Both work. But a stock anitglare solution is the best I've heard yet. Kudos.

14. madam octa macrumors newbie

I just ordered my Defender and I'm a bit worried about that watermark issue. Does any antiglare screen protector works? I was thinking about getting SGP Steinheil Antiglare