IPhone 3GS PAYG second rate customers !!!!!! UK

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NY-Boy, Jun 17, 2009.

1. NY-Boy macrumors newbie

Just left the apple store in Cambridge grand arcade totally gobsmacked :eek:
    I asked regarding the amount of stock of the 3GS on PAYG for Friday, only to be told that they were not sure and may have to fu-fill the contracts first as PAYG is , and i quote , " a bit second rate".
    Happy to take the money but only if you at the back of the queue was the impression i got.

Come on Apple this cant be the way:mad:

2. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Sounds BS to me. Whilst those at O2 should be able to see rough stock levels either now or by thursday i'd imagine, Apple stores literally don't know what they're getting, potentially up to Thursday night. An Apple store saying they don't know their PAYG stock is truthful. PAYG won't need a contract. PAYG is a bit second rate -if you look at what you get vs on contract - but it is cheaper. (That free wifi isn't free for example, it's a minimum £10 top up per month from what i've been told for example).

3. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Well, all the other people are signing contracts, which will make O2 hundreds and hundreds over the next 18 months, so of course the PAYG customers are second-rate to them.

4. Que macrumors 6502

why should apple care about o2's profits?

i would assume that every phone apple sells is money in their pocket regardless of whether they're on an o2 contract or not.

5. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Because they have a contract with them.
    Why do you think Apple sells you the phone for a different price based on your upgrade eligibility?

6. daveishere macrumors 6502a

daveishere

at the end of the day, pay as you go customers don't have to give o2 any more money if they dont want to. contract customers still owe o2 money until the end of their contract.

7. beardboy macrumors regular

beardboy

I've called both CPW stores in Bath and neither are having any PAYG 3GS phones, as they want to reserve them for contract customers, so i thought i'd ring my local Apple store in Bath - said the exact same thing!

Seems like 02 are the only place that are going to sell them on PAYG on launch day - but i've not called them yet, so they might not either!

Absolute BS, as i got my 2g on release day, 3g on release day and now the loyal customers are getting told to wait!

8. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

I thought Apple stores were only selling PAYG?

I thought if you wanted a contract phone you HAD to go to O2 or CPW?

9. Interpolation macrumors regular

Incorrect. You need the first 10 top up to activate the free wifi. Then you can just use it. In fact you can use any o2 sim, as the wifi is linked to your mac address. After 12 months then you have to pay £10 a month to get it.

Also you get the same phone buying either contract or PAYGO. The only diffrerence is the sim and what it can do. You have to set the APN differently for PAYGO. and you loose visual voicemail.

10. mitchellr1705 macrumors newbie

Nope thats wrong. I have iPhone 3G on P&G and dont have to top up £10 for the free WiFi.

I top up £10 every 2 months and get

£5 off my broadband
    Unlimited Texts
    30 free minutes
    Free Voicemail
    Unlimited WiFi + 3G Internet

FTW

11. synagence macrumors 6502a

I've been to those in Bath too and they seemed clueless... been to a couple more and they're all saying no to PnG on launch

O2 (5 stores visited) have all said they're getting PAYG phones on friday so i think just avoid CPW

Apple store in bath isn't an applestore ... its a premium reseller.... u referring to Bristol?

12. Que macrumors 6502

i would assume that the profit on an iphone is pretty similar for apple regardless of contract or payg. if they need to sell it cheaper due to it being an upgrade on o2 then i would expect that o2 pay apple the difference out of the future profits from the contract.

do you know for sure that apple's profits differ between contract and payg or are you just guessing?

if you know for sure then please inform me as i am genuinely interested.

13. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I don't know why you're surprised, PAYG is always treated second rate compared to contract customers. It's been that way since the dawning of time.

Regular, contracted revenues > Irregular revenues any day of the week. It's just the way it is.

14. smr macrumors 6502a

You can start new contracts and also (it seems), upgrade in an AppleStore - see here

15. beardboy macrumors regular

beardboy

Ah yeah they're only a reseller - that'll probably be why. The girl i spoke to said to try Cabot Circus - think i'll just go to 02 direct and see if they have any.