iPhone 3GS performance on OS 4 and better

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by HelenJ, Aug 28, 2010.

1. HelenJ macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I've looked on the web for answers to this problem but it seems to be centered around the iPhone 3G as opposed to the 3GS.

I've got a 16gb 3GS and downloaded OS 4 when it came out and have also downloaded the later software updates. Well, I wish I hadn't now!

The new software makes me hate my phone. It is frustrating to use my phone since the updates. It's slow and sluggish, takes 4-5 seconds to open apps after I've pressed the icon, takes even longer to load emails, SMS, and phone contacts, and also takes 4-5 seconds to close apps when I press the home button.

On numerous occasions the phone has frozen for minutes at a time before responding to anything.

Does anyone know if this issue is going to be resolved by Apple? Is it possible to release an update that will resolve the OS 4 issues for 3GS users or is this another case of Apple bullying people into getting the iPhone 4?

2. Jamie0003 macrumors 6502a

I have heard that iOS 4.1 which should be out Wednesday is supposed to improve performance on 3G and 3GS.

I have a 3GS and it can be slow at times; wait for the update and in the meantime try rebooting the device and/or restoring the phone from backup, I find it can speed things up a bit.

3. Davvido macrumors regular

Davvido

I thought iPhone 3G is the slow one. I have an iPhone 3GS with iOS 4.0.2 and it works fine. Maybe even better than on iPhone OS 3.1.3.

4. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

My 16GB 3GS runs great on IOS4. No sluggishness or degraded performance since the upgrades. I honestly didn't realize any 3GS owners were having any issues.

5. celticpride678

Some people have reported minor performance issues on iOS 4 on the iPhone 3GS, but nothing major (a lag here and there).

iOS 4.1, set to be released at Apple's media event on Wednesday, will probably fix all these issues.

6. HelenJ thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies everyone. I didn't know there was an update due out so hopefully this will fix it!

7. Jamie0003 macrumors 6502a

Yes, this Is what I have been getting. No major issue but still annoying. As said before restoring from backup fixed it, and it should be more optimised with 4.1 for 3G(S)

8. J Boss macrumors newbie

Since the update to iOS4 my iPhone 3GS 32Gb has been consistently restarting itself during phone calls. It usually happens after a few minutes talking... very very frustrating. I have some friends who have had the same problem.

Is this happening to anyone else? Will this 4.1 update fix this major problem?

9. dannyphone macrumors newbie

Is the OS come out yet?

i also facing iphone lagging problem and freeze/hang problem.....

10. knifeinthesink macrumors newbie

My 3g connection on the 3gs is significantly slower since OS4. Done all upgrades and no change.

Iwouldn't have considered anything but iphone before but when this contract expires I'll be considering all the options.