iPhone 3GS Poll: Protect Screen or Not

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by w8ing4intelmacs, Jun 21, 2009.

?

Will you put protection over the new iPhone 3GS screen?

1. Yes - I can't stand to risk the smallest scratch

72 vote(s)
    45.6%
  2. No - I love the feel of the new glass, plus no more fingerprints!

86 vote(s)
    54.4%
  1. w8ing4intelmacs macrumors 6502a

I bought an Invisible Shield for my new iPhone 3GS. I just finished putting on the back part, but with the new oleophobic screen, I have a dilemma on my hands. I'm just curious as to what other people decided to do.

2. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

I was going to put the screen protector on but i didn't just stuck with a case

3. JohnFa macrumors regular

Why is this topic 3GS specific? Isn't there more use for one on the 2G or 3G since the 3GS has some special LCD screen fighting of smudges?
    Besides, I've had my 3G since last summer and the LCD isn't scratched at all, and I'm not using a screen protector.

4. audiosclie macrumors newbie

audiosclie

I still went with the Antiglare. Fingerprint resistant is not equal to scratch proof

5. cardboardcowboy macrumors newbie

I'm not covering mine because #1 the screen seems to do a pretty good job of keeping fingerprints and smudging down to an acceptable level with minimal amounts of wiping/cleaning and #2 the feeling of the glass is just so nice. I had an invisible shield on my Instinct and it felt nice but it had a plastic screen so I had to protect it. With the glass on the iPhone I don't feel so paranoid about it because I am mindful to not put anything in my pocket with the phone. I am, however, putting an invisible shield on the back of the phone. I'm tired of this silicon case hiding the lovely white plastic body underneath.

6. edge540 macrumors regular

edge540

That's actually exactly what I did on my 3G S. I got the invisible shield and just put the back and sides on and I'm not going to out anything on the screen. I love the feel of the screen and I would hate to do anything to it. All the screen protectors just lose the slick and slippery feel of the glass.

7. Merlosso macrumors 6502

Merlosso

I tried a few different screen protectors on my 3G and ultimately settled on the PowerSupport Anti-Glare. I loved the dry, paper like feel but the frosted look they give the screen always bothered me. But, the frosted look didn't bother me as much as a fingerprint smudged bare screen, so I kept it on.

I have an extra Anti-Glare protector but after a weekend with the bare screen of the 3GS, I'm not going to put it on. The screen stands up to fingerprints really well and cleans very easily. On top of that, I had almost forgotten how crisp and clear the iPhone screen is; I can't go back to to the frosted Anti-Glare protector.

I don't think I'll be putting a screen protector on the phone.

8. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

I think I'm just going to do an invisible shield on the back and leave the front as is. I did an IS on both sides for my 2g, but this screen feels too nice.

9. iArrudaG macrumors regular

iArrudaG

I'm still deciding, might go with a Power Support Crystal though. :D

10. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I couldn't bring myself to put a protector on the screen. It feels so nice without one, and the oleophobic coating is a wonder.

11. aforty macrumors 65816

I have an InvisibleShield on the back of my iPhone and another brand of protective screen for the front. Forgot what the front brand is but it feels a lot better to the touch than the InvisibleShield.

Anyway, I really like it. Looks great, feels great and gives me some piece of mind.

[edit] Sorry didn't read the the poll, this is on my iPhone 3G. I've had the protection since I bought it on launch day last year.

12. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

The same with me. The screen feels so nice and I can just wipe the screen with my glasses cleaner.

Just a silicone case for the nice feel to hold the phone and it's perfect.

13. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

I cant stand the invisible shield! Well back before 3.0 when the sms box wouldnt grow as the message got longer, it was almost impossible to scroll up when texting. Also when hold your finger to zoom a text, my finger would never slide easy! I just hate the way it feels and looks on the phone.

14. joro macrumors 68020

joro

+1 :cool:

15. ttech10 macrumors 6502

I've never put a screen protector on and never will.

16. w8ing4intelmacs thread starter macrumors 6502a

I ended up putting on the front protector. Too many close calls.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've tried screen protectors for years back when PDAs/palm pilots were all the rage and never once did I get them on right w/o bubbles or dust. While back then with the plastic screen the need to protect the screen was higher.

My concern with screen protectors now is how will they affect the coating. While the manufacturers will say its safe, only time will tell if using one for an extended period of time and then removing it will adversely affect the coating.

Given the poor track record and that danger, I opted to buy a case with flap on it. Unfortunately its a vaja case and os I need to wait.

18. dagomike macrumors 65816

I did the PS anti-glare. Looks damn near perfect. Protection, plus a little anti glare.

19. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

I love the ant-glare protectors by powersupport.

No glare and no finger prints.

It's great.

20. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

I buy the cheap ones 2.99 for 4 from China best i ever used .

21. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Never had a screen protector on any iPhone and don't plan it ever.

22. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I went for the BSE on the back, and the PS antiglare on the front.

23. newConvert macrumors regular

I have the one that comes w/ the iSkin solo, managed to get it on perfect the second try (big fluke), I can't even tell its one... it may feel slightly less slick, but the protection is worth it imo...

for those who have tried a lot of these, which protector comes closest to the feel of the glass?

24. notjustgc macrumors 6502

notjustgc

Answered your own question, no?

25. Sledutah macrumors regular

Installed BSE last night, but I might remove the front and just leave the back on. I like the feel without it.