iPhone 3Gs post JB/Unlock Issues - Help Please

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by GGMagic, Aug 2, 2011.

1. GGMagic macrumors newbie

GGMagic

Hi all,

I have an iPhone 3Gs (8GB) that was locked to the Telus network. I have successfully jail broken and unlocked the device (updating to the iPad BB) and it is running 4.3.3. Phone calls and general functionality work fine on the Fido network.

A couple issues I'm having:

- I seem to have decreased battery life
    - Push notification don't work for apps when they are closed butrunning in the background (WhatsApp, Facebook, etc). YouTube however does run just fine and has no problems.

My questions are:

I understand that I can only restore with custom IPSW's because of my iPad BB running on the phone. However, instead of using Push Doctor or SAM to try and fix the notifications issue, would it be possible to activate the phone with a valid Telus SIM (which I do have) in order to get a working "push ticket" (or whatever the term is) which should fix my push notification issues and possibly my battery issues as well? From what I have been able to find online, the push notification issue is generally a result of Hacktivating the phone and not going through the normal method of inserting a valid SIM that the phone was originally locked to.

If this is the case, could someone briefly explain the steps I would need to take to start over? Do I custom restore to 4.3.3 using Pwnage tool, restore through iTunes, activate using the valid Telus SIM, then unlock again using Ultrasnow through Cydia?

If this is way off, some guidance would be very much appreciated.

2. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

Jailbreaking shouldn't affect battery life. I had a 3 GS and battery life was great on it. Check to see if you have anything running in the background. You might also want to try a soft reset.

If you want to restore all you have to do is plug it into iTunes and select restore.

3. GGMagic thread starter macrumors newbie

GGMagic

I've made sure nothing is running in the background and the phone still seems to be slightly laggy. Regardless the battery life may not be an issue, it could just be depleting at a normal rate. My main concern is the lack of working push notifications for applications like WhatsApp, Facebook, Skype, etc.

I can restore in iTunes, however, I cannot just simply do a normal restore as I have an updated iPad BB so all restore need to be done using custom IPSW.

I'm curious as to whether or not I can skip "Hacktivation" and use a regular SIM from Telus (the carrier it was originally locked to) and get a proper push notification ticket from iTunes upon activation.

Thanks for the feedback though.

4. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

That's the way it works for phones locked to AT&T. Yes.

5. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

To the bolded part, my answer is yes. However, SAM would be faster.

If you really want to restore though, you're going to need to have SHSH blobs for 4.3.3. Basically, you will have this if you jailbroke your iPhone before 4.3.4 came out. Create a custom firmware using pwnagetool or sn0wbreeze depending on your computer's OS and then restore to it using iTunes. Then activate with Telus SIM.

6. GGMagic thread starter macrumors newbie

GGMagic

Gotcha, thanks for the help. I ended up using SAM and things seem to be working fine now. Not sure if I have SHSH blobs saved. I did jailbreak my phone prior to 4.3.4. I've also updated my Mac to Lion and done all updates to iTunes. Would this affect any SHSH blobs that might have been saved?

7. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    I just wanted to be 100% clear on something. I just took my iPhone 3gs firmware version from 4.0 to 4.3.3 via a custom fw so that I could keep the baseband at 05.13.04 to keep it unlock-able. The phone was originally for AT&T and is being used on t-mobile.

The first time I made the customized ipsw in PwnageTool I had left the "Activate the phone" checkbox checked. I was told that since I had the original AT&T sim in the whole time, I should have left that "activate the phone" checkbox UNchecked. By doing this (Since I had the phone's original carrier sim), I wouldn't have to go through the iPhone | How to Hactivation Your iPhone Using Subscriber Artificial Module (SAM) steps.

So I restored again to a replacement customized firmware that had it unchecked this time. I just wanted to confirm that I was good.

8. GGMagic thread starter macrumors newbie

GGMagic

Sounds to me like you should be good.

9. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

FYI, ultrasnow does make your battery drain faster. Since I'm on at&t, I don't usually install it unless I'm going out of country.