iPhone 3GS Pre-ordering questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xanadeath, Jun 10, 2009.

1. xanadeath macrumors 6502

xanadeath

Ok...a lot of people have been wondering and so have I. Maybe someone here can answer our questions. What is up with the pricing....people are getting quotes with early upgrade pricing and no-commitment pricing. I got my first iPhone, an iPhone 3G 16GB Black, on launch day and I was eligible for upgrade then. Now when I go to upgrade on apple.com it guotes me early upgrade prices...but a lot of other people are getting no-commitment pricing. At the bottom of the email from apple about the new iPhone 3G S it says: For non-qualified customers, including existing AT&T customers who want to upgrade from another phone or replace an iPhone 3G, the price with a new two-year agreement is $499 (8GB), $599 (16GB), or $699 (32GB). How does this mix in here? Not only that but it also states: ††Pre-authorization does not guarantee iPhone availability at an Apple Retail Store. iPhone is sold on a first-come, first-served basis. What is that Apple? Am I paying for it now if I reserve....and if I reserve and I am not even guaranteed a phone...whats the point then? Please someone...if you can...help and clarify. Thanks

Xanadeath

2. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

The original iPhone was not subsidized by AT&T, so you could upgrade whenever you wanted. The 3G WAS subsidized, so you have to wait to get another subsidized phone until AT&T says you can - whenever they decide you have paid enough of your half of the deal in monthly fees they let you upgrade.

If you pre-order and select an Apple Store, you just get put on a list. This means you don't have to wait for them to check with AT&T before they sell you an iPhone. It does not hold an iPhone for you, it just speeds up the process. If you get there and they are sold out, you are SOL.

3. xanadeath thread starter macrumors 6502

xanadeath

clarification?

There must be a set amount of months then...or something logical. A lot of the people who have been getting quoted the no-commitment pricing seem to have purchased the original iPhone and the iPhone 3G.