iPhone 3Gs preorder -- Can it be transferred to someone else?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bryanw3535, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Bryanw3535 macrumors regular

Two questions about my iPhone 3Gs preorder at the Apple store. I preordered the iPhone 3Gs at the Apple store for my number. But I'd like to go in and instead of getting the iPhone for my own account, I want to open a new account for my wife (on my family plan) and get her the iPhone 3Gs.

Two questions:

1.) Can I transfer this preorder to her or is it only applicable to me?

2.) Does she have to be present to sign up for the plan or can I go to the Apple store for her on Friday morning instead? She works that day.

Thanks!!

2. Bryanw3535 thread starter macrumors regular

3. Munitalp macrumors 65816

The easiest way would be to just get the iPhone, activate it on your account... then remove the sim card and put hers in -- call AT&T and have them switch (or add) a data plan and the iPhone to her account. Tell them you want an "upgrade swap", its done by AT&T often.

4. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

If you are head of the account, you should just be able to tell them you want it for the 2nd line on the account and be done with it. They don't care if it's your wife or not, they just want to talk to the head of account.

I'm in the opposite situation. My wife and I are on a family plan that includes my step-mom and sister, a plan my dad was head of since 2001. He passed away last year and my step-mom took over but she is against internet finances...totally opposite of my dad! So, I have to have her present to upgrade my 2G to the 3G S because of the price changes to the account. Really sucks and this is pretty much the only negative to family accounts.

When I got my 2G it was great because of the iTunes activation. I bought it at Apple Store, took it home and just activated using my phone number.

5. Bryanw3535 thread starter macrumors regular

But she's a new AT&T customer, so I wanted to use her new-customer discounted for the new phone. In other words, can I sign up a new account in the store without her present?

6. Bryanw3535 thread starter macrumors regular

Does anyone know the answer?

1.) Can I get a iPhone 3Gs for my wife even though it's my name on the preorder?

2.) Can I sign her up for a new AT&T line on my family plan if she's not present with me at the Apple store?

7. Bryanw3535 thread starter macrumors regular

In case anybody is still looking for the answer, I called my Apple Store today...

Yes, the preorder can be used for a different person (my wife in this case) as long as I'm there.

And yes, I can sign her up without her present.