iPhone 3GS Preorder - When are they charging?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dand1996, Jun 11, 2009.

1. dand1996 macrumors regular

Apple hasnt charged my credit card yet for my 3GS order, has anyone's been charged or are they charging us when it ships?

thanks

2. thekills macrumors member

AT&T website said they'll charge once it ships. I imagine Apple will do the same.

3. joro macrumors 68020

joro

I can't speak directly to Apple because I pre-ordered my phone from AT&T but the type of card you are using impacts how the charge will be processed. With any card, Apple will most likely send through a pre-authorization which on a credit card will fall off after 3 days and on a debit card will fall off after 5 days (usually). In the latter case, it will hold against your available balance so make sure you have enough money in the account to cover transactions because the bank WILL charge you overdraft fees even with a pending charge.

4. prp134 macrumors regular

I just checked my bank account today and see that AT&T charged themselves on the 10th when I placed my order.

I BETTER get my iphone on the 19th then, I got constant alerts by AT&T that I was not going to be charge till it was shipped.

5. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

Did your balance really increase or just a pending charge that reduced your available funds?

6. thekills macrumors member

I just checked my AMEX account, it's currently listed as a pending charge. Who knows, I wouldn't be surprised if they do charge the card and it goes through before the phone ships.

7. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

Just like with anything you buy online (well more places) they don't charge until they ship, (wow sad that I know that I buy to much stuff online :() they just put a hold on your account. We all should get a second email when it ships.

8. JATF macrumors newbie

just a heads up i was the first to pre-order at my att store. they charged immediately (though it only says pending charge i still cant use it) even though they said they wouldn't until shipped, just a couple of minutes ago att canceled my order but my moneys not back. I'm hitting them up 2morrow morning

9. veterator macrumors member

veterator

I ordered mine through the Apple Store as soon as it went back online and I could get the order through. The charge showed up immediately on my online bank statement. It was there until this afternoon, then poof, gone. It's completely off the statement now. My order still shown up on my Apple account information page. I guess they pre-authorized the order and will zap the money out when they ship.

10. SirithX macrumors 6502

SirithX

It's pending on my Bank of America account. Infact, I had originally ordered a 16 GB iPhone for $400 but then changed my mind cancelled that the next day and ordered the 32 GB for $500, now there are two pending transactions on my account for close to a thousand dollars. This is why I'm assuming they tell people to wait a week before reordering if you cancel. In any case I hope they send it quick.

11. joro macrumors 68020

joro

Working at a bank - including formerly BoA - most people don't realize that while a merchant the legal right to hold against your funds as soon as the card is swiped or processed they aren't required to send in refunds for up to 5 business days after the refund transaction. It causes alot of problems, let me tell you from dealing with it on a daily basis.

12. bjquach macrumors 6502

13. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I had a $200 pending on my card from when Apple charged, then it dropped off today. Will re-charge again when shipped I imagine.

14. nyfinest32 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8310/4.5.0.124 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I ordered mine yesterday and apple charged my card on the spot