iPhone 3GS randomly loses WiFi, hardware issue?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mac-Bimmer, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Mac-Bimmer macrumors member

My iPhone 3GS loses WiFi randomly while I'm using it. I always have a strong WiFi signal anywhere in my home. I've tried resetting my iPhone in all ways possible as well as my router/modem.
    Is this a hardware issue? Should I go and get it replaced at the Apple store?

P.S. I have a refurbished iPhone btw

Attached Files:

2. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Have you tested another device to be sure its not your router?

3. Snowman3459 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I think it's something with the iPhone. My iPhone 4 does the same thing. It will go out probably every 2-3 days. Yet my laptop always keeps a constant connection.

4. Mac-Bimmer thread starter macrumors member

My family has 3 more iPhones and none of them do this. Is this problem then hardware related? Will the Geniuses give me a hard time if I go and show them all of the pictures because I have many more depicting the problem with the WiFi going on and off?
    Oh and also this is a refurb unit that I have, does that make a difference?

5. Centient macrumors 6502

Reset the phone, the router, none of the other phones have the issue. I say it's time to bring it to the store for a look.

I've only ever had good experiences with the Genius folks. Can't imagine they'll give you a hard time for the pics, and more likely they'll appreciate your attempts to make things clear for them.

Edit: Have you tried any other WiFi connections? Like pop into a friends or Starbucks connection to see if you can produce the same results?

6. Mac-Bimmer thread starter macrumors member

I'll go to my public library and see what's up. But otherwise, do you or anybody knows if this is a hardware issue?

7. Mac-Bimmer thread starter macrumors member

No luck, same situation at the library. If I show the Genius the pics I took of the iPhone randomly losing WiFi, will I get a replacement?

8. Centient macrumors 6502

Well at least now you know that your network really isn't to blame.

As far as getting a replacement, you'll have to make an appointment, bring the phone in, and report back here to let us know.

9. SimpleServe macrumors newbie

Hardware problem

If you are in warranty the will give you a replacement. If not, they'll try to sell you a new phone.

10. Mac-Bimmer thread starter macrumors member

Well I'm very delighted to say that all went well with the Genius. I showed him the pics I took of the phone losing WiFi, and I got a replacement :)

Apple customer care is one in a million, they really do care about their customers :apple:

P.S.
    if anyone has an iPhone who has the same problem as mine, I suggest you get it replaced before your warranty expires.