iPhone 3GS randomly loses WiFi, hardware issue?

Mac-Bimmer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
My iPhone 3GS loses WiFi randomly while I'm using it. I always have a strong WiFi signal anywhere in my home. I've tried resetting my iPhone in all ways possible as well as my router/modem.
Is this a hardware issue? Should I go and get it replaced at the Apple store?

P.S. I have a refurbished iPhone btw

Attachments

Snowman3459

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I think it's something with the iPhone. My iPhone 4 does the same thing. It will go out probably every 2-3 days. Yet my laptop always keeps a constant connection.

Mac-Bimmer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
Have you tested another device to be sure its not your router?
My family has 3 more iPhones and none of them do this. Is this problem then hardware related? Will the Geniuses give me a hard time if I go and show them all of the pictures because I have many more depicting the problem with the WiFi going on and off?
Oh and also this is a refurb unit that I have, does that make a difference?

Centient

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2009
My family has 3 more iPhones and none of them do this. Is this problem then hardware related? Will the Geniuses give me a hard time if I go and show them all of the pictures because I have many more depicting the problem with the WiFi going on and off?
Oh and also this is a refurb unit that I have, does that make a difference?
Reset the phone, the router, none of the other phones have the issue. I say it's time to bring it to the store for a look.

I've only ever had good experiences with the Genius folks. Can't imagine they'll give you a hard time for the pics, and more likely they'll appreciate your attempts to make things clear for them.

Edit: Have you tried any other WiFi connections? Like pop into a friends or Starbucks connection to see if you can produce the same results?

Mac-Bimmer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
Reset the phone, the router, none of the other phones have the issue. I say it's time to bring it to the store for a look.

I've only ever had good experiences with the Genius folks. Can't imagine they'll give you a hard time for the pics, and more likely they'll appreciate your attempts to make things clear for them.

Edit: Have you tried any other WiFi connections? Like pop into a friends or Starbucks connection to see if you can produce the same results?
I'll go to my public library and see what's up. But otherwise, do you or anybody knows if this is a hardware issue?

Mac-Bimmer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
No luck, same situation at the library. If I show the Genius the pics I took of the iPhone randomly losing WiFi, will I get a replacement?

Centient

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2009
No luck, same situation at the library. If I show the Genius the pics I took of the iPhone randomly losing WiFi, will I get a replacement?
Well at least now you know that your network really isn't to blame.

As far as getting a replacement, you'll have to make an appointment, bring the phone in, and report back here to let us know.

SimpleServe

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2010
Hardware problem

If you are in warranty the will give you a replacement. If not, they'll try to sell you a new phone.

Mac-Bimmer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
Well I'm very delighted to say that all went well with the Genius. I showed him the pics I took of the phone losing WiFi, and I got a replacement :)

Apple customer care is one in a million, they really do care about their customers :apple:

P.S.
if anyone has an iPhone who has the same problem as mine, I suggest you get it replaced before your warranty expires.