iPhone 3GS randomly shut off, took 10 mins to reboot itself... What?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by 0dev, Dec 27, 2009.

1. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

I was on my iPhone scrolling through a web page when it randomly shut off and came up with the boot screen. I thought it was weird, but just thought it'd reboot and all would be fine.

However, it seemed that it was in a reboot loop and will not turn back on. I plugged it into the computer and still nothing. However, as I was writing this message, the phone vibrated then came back on again!

At the moment everything seems fine, but could this be an indication of a bigger problem? Could something be happening to the phone? Should I start backing things up, maybe restore the firmware?

It is jailbroken, but I haven't installed anything from Cydia in ages and I don't have any emulators or ROMs that have been causing trouble recently.

2. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

I had something similar happen recently, and mine isn't jailbroken at all. Actually, I've been having a few problems with my 3GS slowing down a bit and not taking screenshots any more. Mine got stuck booting also after I restarted it a couple weeks ago--not sure exactly what happened, but I think I was plugging it in when it died from low battery, then I somehow rebooted it while it was booting, which screwed up something temporarily. This is after the screenshot bug but before the slowdowns I've experienced lately. Apple really needs to issue a firmware update because its slowing down for me! I mean, there has to be one soon. It's been awhile.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I dont think we need a software update to fix lag or anything on the 3GS models. 3.1.2 runs nice and quick.
    Try doing a restore, that should definetelly help.

4. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

Hum.... this happened to me 5 days ago.... Didn't turn on until it charged for 10 minutes.

5. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

The same thing has happened to me a few times a while back, I just re-set the device in itunes and seems to be fine now! :)

6. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

Sounds like Apple have a little bug on their hands!

When they release the new firmware I'm leaving the jailbreak world behind I think, more trouble than it's worth in the end, not just this but I also have problems with it giving me "updates" I've already installed for App Store apps.