iPhone 3GS randomly turns off? (frozen standby..?)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by troy14, Jan 10, 2010.

1. troy14 macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone,

I searched and a few threads came up, but they were from years ago, mostly 2G iphones jailbroken/unlocked/tmobile whatever..

I'm using a non-jailbroken iphone 3GS on at&t, it has recently started randomly freezing on the black screen... i can hold the home/power button for around ~15 seconds and it'll restart and turn on like normal, but this is annoying since I don't know when it freezes and I miss calls/texts..

Is this an issue anyone else had? I'm using the latest firmware, I tried restoring and it still does it. It usually happens once a day or so..

I'm not sure if I can take it to apple, whether they'd believe me or not. My phone is pretty much in perfect aesthetic condition so i'm not just trying to scam a new one.. just is rather annoying.. there's no way I can make it magically freeze at the apple store..

2. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

:apple:I had a problem like that with both my 3G and 3GS, I just went to an Apple Store they ran diagnostics and it showed that the phone was restarting abnormally and they replaced both with no hastle at all.

If it's super annoying to you, take it in and have it replaced, if not just keep it.:apple:

3. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

I have the same issues as the OP. Just freezes out of nowhere. My iPhone is stock and up-to-date.

4. RangerXML macrumors regular

I already traded mine in and the new one has the same issue. This issue didn't start until 3.1.x.

5. Rizvi1, Mar 19, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2011

Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    My wife has an iPhone 3gs which is jailbroken and unlocked so that she can use it with t-mobile. recently it's been freezing up and we have to hold down the power switch and home button or whatever to turn it off. Once we do and it turns back on it's ok for a little while.

I do have applecare and could do this but the issue would be unlocking the replacement phone - Probably going to do this when the latest firmware for the 3gs is unlockable (or the iPhone 4 if they decide to replace with an upgrade - does that happen?)

In case it's relevant, here's some stats on the phone:

Version 4.0 (8A293)
    Modem Firmware 05.13.04
    (The phone was upgraded to latest OS when I bought it used in the summer - when the latest OS was fully jailbreakable/unlockable)

Model: MC136LL
    Carrier 7.0