iPhone 3GS rattle!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by CADer, Jul 7, 2009.

1. CADer macrumors 6502

CADer

So I was just wondering if the 3GS is suppost to rattle when lightly tapped on the back near the camera or if this is a defect in my phone.
    The rattle makes the phone feel really cheap and has become a nusance. I know my wifes 3G does not make this sound, so is there anyway all 3GS iPhones have this due to the better camera or should I attempt to get a replacement?

2. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Auto focus camera component. It moves. There is no issue.

3. CADer thread starter macrumors 6502

CADer

Thank you!!!! You saved me a 20 mile 45 min. Trip to the Apple Store to check the phones on display!!

If anyone else can confirm this please do and then delete this thread!!

4. sparkomatic macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

Ahh, that's what it is. I thought it was the ringer switch. I kept hearing a little rattle whenever I put the phone down on the desk.

Good to know.

5. CADer thread starter macrumors 6502

CADer

6. iSarah1981 macrumors newbie

The rattle in my white iPhone 3GS

So the day came where I was able to upgrade to an iPhone 3GS. You can't understand how excited I was. Got my phone, I chose white since my macbook is white and I was so excited. After I had the phone a few days I noticed that when my brand new phone vibrated, it didn't sound up to par. I checked the phone out and realized that the switch on the upper left side was in fact loose and that annoyed me. So, I went to the Apple store, after showing the "genious" my problem he quickly turned his head and wouldn't replace the phone for me. So, later that day I went to an ATT store, they heard the problem grabbed a new box and replaced it. I again was happy. THEN, a few days after that I noticed that my phone rattled when I turned the camera and gently tapped the phone but didn't rattle when I had my camera off. This morning, I took the phone to Apple.. again.. this time they noticed the rattle so they replaced it. Then, I checked the new phone right in front of the guy and the new phone had the rattle as well when on camera mode. So, the "genious" and I did a little research on the phone and told me it's normal, there's an actual lense inside the phone that activates for the auto focus which causes it to rattle a bit. So do yourself a favor, if you hear this only when your phone is on camera mode, don't freak, don't panic, don't get upset. The reason why 1G's 3G's don't do this is because they don't have auto focus. I had to learn the hard way by running all around san francisco looking for an explanation. If you call Apple support they will tell you this is not supposed to be happening, the "genious" at the apple store will tell you it's not supposed to be happening and that they've never heard of this before but they definitely have, it's a flaw Apple will not admit to. Hopefully, when the next iPhone comes out, they'll have this fixed. Your phone isn't broken. I'm on my third phone, the thing still rattles when on camera. I know how you feel, it's quite annoying and you want a perfect phone for the money we pay for this thing. Just enjoy it! I hope this helps some people who are as neurotic as me with my iPhone : )