iPhone 3GS reboot

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by lbmontez, Jan 20, 2012.

1. lbmontez macrumors member

Hey all, sorry if this thread has been posted many times before!

My 3gs keeps rebooting randomly and multiple times a day. It did this to my mom when she had this phone, and it will probably brick itself with a kernel panic again soon if I can't figure out how to fix this (if I even can).

Here is what keeps happening:
    The phone will randomly reboot many times a day, for no apparent reason. It did this with iOS 4, and bricked. I restored it with the DFU mode reset and appeared to be fine. Within a couple of days, it was right back to the reset cycle it had been on before.

When I got the phone, I performed the iOS 5 upgrade hoping beyond hope this would solve the problem. It did not. I can't say its made it any worse, but it certainly didn't make it better. It doesn't seem to matter what I do-leave it plugged in, perform a hard reset, normal power off/on, 3G enabled/disabled, clearing previously opened apps...nothing I do seems to help.

It's never been jailbroken, never dropped-always well taken care of and gently used. This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Apple can't help because my warranty ran out on the device a couple of months ago, so they aren't really even willing to take a look at the thing. (Waste of thirty minutes calling them for advice. Jeez.)

What do I do? DFU reset, iTunes restore doesn't seem to make a difference. Do I just have a bad device, or is there something I can get repaired/replaced in the phone itself? At a total loss with this one...

I'm half tempted to go ahead and just use an upgrade on another line to replace the device, but I really don't wanna fork over the money for a 4, when I could have a potentially perfect (and completely free!) device in my hands right now.

Anyone have any advice?

2. Kashika macrumors regular

I have the same kind of problem.

Mine turns off randomly as well. Usually the whole OS freezes and after a while I get the revolving wheel and it just reboots.

It happens most when I set the alarm and plug it in at night. In the morning either my alarm won't go off (it will crash) or it will freeze after I take it off the charger.