Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zedder17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
hi,

iPhone 3GS
Version: 5.0.1
Modem Firmware: 05.16.05

I'm having an issue with this 3GS. I've already restored it twice and it'll be ok for approx a month before the rebooting issue returns. I did not have this issue until I upgraded to 5.0.1, and the issue seems to happen when I'm in an area that I lose my signal, as others are experiencing as well.

I'd like to downgrade to a lower version if possible to see if this resolves the issue as alot of people seem to be having this exact issue on 5.0.1.

In Tiny Umbrella, it shows that I've saved the shsh files for both 4.1 and 4.3 from this phone. Does that mean I can downgrade to either of these? If so, can anyone please provide a step-by-step on how to do this??

Thanks!

zedder17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
Probably an issue with the jailbreak (I'm assuming it's jailbroken)

sorry, I forgot to mention that it is not jailbroken and never has been. I was actually planning to jailbreak it until the rebooting issue started, and decided to wait as I didn't want to introduce another possible issue...

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Then try a DFU restore. My daughter has an iPod Touch 4th on 5.0.1 and so does my wife. No problem with rebooting.

5.1 seems like it may arrive soon enough.

If the problem persists you might have a hardware problem.

zedder17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
well, I had to do another restore! The phone seems to be ok and is not constantly rebooting... for now! What a pain...it seems to be happening every month!

I'd like to try to downgrade to either 4.3 or 4.1 to see if that resolves the constant rebooting issue....or should I just wait for 5.1 to come out and hope that resolves the issue??

It seems there are quite a few people that are experiencing the same rebooting issue on 5.0.1. I'm thinking it's an iOS issue and not a hardware issue, because it does not reboot at all while in recovery mode during the restore process...if it was a hardware issue, or even a battery issue, I think it would continue rebooting even during the restore.

How can I downgrade to 4.3 or 4.1 with my saved shsh files that I have in Tiny Umbrella?

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
well, I had to do another restore! The phone seems to be ok and is not constantly rebooting... for now! What a pain...it seems to be happening every month!

I'd like to try to downgrade to either 4.3 or 4.1 to see if that resolves the constant rebooting issue....or should I just wait for 5.1 to come out and hope that resolves the issue??

It seems there are quite a few people that are experiencing the same rebooting issue on 5.0.1. I'm thinking it's an iOS issue and not a hardware issue, because it does not reboot at all while in recovery mode during the restore process...if it was a hardware issue, or even a battery issue, I think it would continue rebooting even during the restore.

How can I downgrade to 4.3 or 4.1 with my saved shsh files that I have in Tiny Umbrella?

You can downgrade it to 4.1 without the need of SHSH blob save since Apple somehow still sign this firmware.

1. Download a 3GS 4.1 firmware to your computer.
2. Put your phone into DFU mode.
3. Click shift + restore (if you have PC) or Option + restore (if you have Mac) and point it to 4.1.
4. Your phone should restore it to factory setting 4.1 without any problem. If you see 1015 error at the end, you can use TU to exit recovery.

zedder17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
Thanks for the info Crystal-RX!

It seems to be ok for now after I did the restore...I may just wait for iOS 5.1 as there are rumors that its not too far away...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.