iPhone 3GS reboots randomly, especially during calls on iOS4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dvdvd, Jul 5, 2010.

1. dvdvd macrumors newbie

dvdvd

Hi, I have an iPhone 3GS that had been recently replaced by Apple. Had the old bootrom, jailbroken and unlocked with Spirit/ultrasn0w on 3.1.3. My iPhone worked without a hitch.

However, ever since upgrading iOS 4 (jailbroken via Spirit2pwn and Pwnagetool), my 3GS, my iPhone randomly reboots, especially during calls that last more than 10 minutes. So I restored to stock iOS 4 and used my friend's AT&T sim to test if this was issue with jailbreaking, but my 3GS continues to reboot itself randomly. So I downgraded back to 3.1.3 using Saurik's servers and my phone no longer reboots.

I was wondering if any other 3GS owners out there are experiencing the same issues as well.

2. domcc1 macrumors newbie

Yes! I get this same thing and I'm using a completely unhacked 3GS. Every since I upgraded to iOS 4 I get random reboots. I WISH I could downgrade to 3.1.3, where my phone was working perfectly, however I didn't save my SHSH blobs.

It usually happens during calls, after about 5 minutes into the call.

I have called my phone provider, and they tell me it's a hardware issue (as I've restored the phone several times, including setting it up as a new phone and losing all my SMSs etc), however I think it's BS. This phone was fine until I upgraded.

If you found a solution please let me know!

I'm running 4.2.1. and well, basically the phone is stuffed and I'm looking at HTC and Google phones.

Wish I could just have my iPhone back.

3. NathanA macrumors 6502a

You two are not alone.

Another MR thread about this (with my PO'd take on the subject)
    A very long thread on Apple Discussion forums

If you are willing to jailbreak your 3GS, there is apparently a fix you can install that is referenced at the end of that long Apple Discussions forum thread. I have a copy of the fix that I can supply you with, although with the disclaimer attached that I've not tried it myself.

If I were you, what I would do is go into an Apple store, explain your predicament ("I updated to *your* new software, which makes my phone reboot when I'm on a phone call, and you won't allow me to downgrade"), and ask them to either assist you in downgrading back to 3.1.3, or replace the phone with one that doesn't do this.

(I wonder if Geniuses have the power to downgrade to versions no longer being signed by Apple proper...I kinda doubt it.)

-- Nathan

4. domcc1 macrumors newbie

Nathan - thank you so much for this.

I'll head down to Apple right now.

Wish I had have done it earlier when I first experienced it (and the phone was under warranty). At that time though there was nothing on the net about it and foolish me just thought it would eventually be fixed with each 4.x.x upgrade that came out...

5. NathanA macrumors 6502a

Do come back and let us know how it turns out!

-- Nathan

6. domcc1 macrumors newbie

Great news! I am love again with Apple.

They replaced my phone with a brand new / refurb free of charge even though my handset is 18 months old.

The key was that I *reported* the issue to my Telco during the warranty period (it happened straight after iOS4). They actually called up their customer service and we had a 3 way conference in order to confirm that I had in fact reported the issue.

They only found bits and pieces of my reporting the issue. To be fair though, when I have a problem with a phone or a piece of software I don't call up customer support, I'm an IT professional, I look at forums and troubleshoot the device myself. As mentioned earlier I just kept hoping the next update would fix it.

So even though Apple senior care couldn't find concrete evidence of me reporting it, as I described the pain I went through constantly wiping my phone, going into Optus (Telco) shops, browsing forums they authorised an out of warranty repair.

Nice. If I had to pay it would have been around AUD $220, not bad for a 'new' handset (you must have a reproducible hardware fault for them to do this).

Having said all that, in Australia we have consumer laws such that 'a reasonable person would expect a $1000 handset to last longer than 12 months', so even though the warranty is only 12 months we still have avenues to pursue (not to mention all the junk about not being able to downgrade).

Thanks for your help Nathan.

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Of course, you're jailbroken, ever think that may be causing your problems?

8. domcc1 macrumors newbie

This same issue happened on my phone, which was completely original, not jailbroken or hacked in any way.

I think it's obvious from my experience, dvdvd's experience and Nathans 168 page thread he linked us to that this is a hardware + iOS4 issue with certain iPhone 3GSs and unrelated to jailbreaking.