iPhone 3GS: Recovery Mode Loop (The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored.)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by the803, Mar 21, 2010.

1. the803 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have an iPhone 3GS running 3.1.2. Unlocked and Jailbroken via Blackrain.
    So I decided to 'Erase all content' from the phone and it restarted the phone.
    Then, it got stuck in recovery mode.
    While trying to shif* + restore it via itunes with a 3.1.2 file, it says:
    "The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. The device isnt eligible for the requested build."

I do not want to update it to 3.1.3 because it is not unlockable at the moment.

Is there a way to get it out of recovery mode and successfully restore the firmware?

Thanks!

2. Gavbo macrumors member

3. the803 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,
    What do you mean by un-run blackrain?
    Thanks!

4. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

Did you save your SHSH blobs on Saurik's servers? (This would have been done the first time you opened Cydia, by clicking the "Make my life easier" button.)

If not, you have no choice but to go up to 3.1.3 :( Apple requires that all firmware restores be signed by them, and they'll only sign 3.1.3 now. You may be able to jailbreak 3.1.3, but it requires the old bootrom.

Edit: there's no such thing as "un-running blackra1n"

5. Gavbo macrumors member

OP, is the 3Gs on the new or old bootrom?

If you have the old bootrom and you used blackra1n to jb and unlock, then you have two options:

1) try clicking 'make it rain' on Blackra1n from your pc/mac and see if this works. As blackra1n jb is tethered so when you phone is restarted you will need to do this again.

2) Reinstall via shift enter and be sure to select the 'custom 3.1.2 firmware (pwnage builded' and not the default 3.1.2 firmware as the error suggest you are not selecting the right firmware.

===

If you are on the new bootrom and shsh 3.1.2 is not on Cydia then you are out of luck :( With the new bootrom you only can one chance, so dont mess with it once is working!!

6. Gavbo macrumors member

I meant re-run

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Bad idea to do an 'Erase all content'
    That will delete everything of your iphone and put it in restore mode.
    If you dont have your SHSH's saved thru cydia you're in trouble.
    Try this
    http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=7557
    and then try to restore to 3.1.2 to see if itunes lets you.

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

^^^^^
    they're telling the OP to do all this stuff when he may never be able to restore it period. DFU mode will be your only hope, if so and that means 3.1.3 for you.

10. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

If you don't have your SHSH on file in Cydia or saved locally with Umbrella, you are out of luck. It is not possible to restore an iPhone 3GS to 3.1.2 through a DFU mode restore without saved signature hashes. Sorry.

Also? "Erase All Contents and Setings" is not something your should do unless you intend to do a full DFU mode restore of your phone immediately afterward. Again, unless you have cached signatures, this will also mean upgrading to the latest firmware.