Iphone 3GS repair has left GPS NOT WORKING.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iainmac963, May 20, 2011.

1. iainmac963 macrumors newbie

Hi all, thanks for reading this.

I recently put my Iphone in to have the power button replaced. When I got my iphone back the GPS function was not working on it.

The mute button stopped working as well so I put that in to have it replaced as it was replaced along with the power button.

My question is what is the probability of the repair messing up my Gps. I know the Gps was working before they opened it up as I used it to find their repair shop. Although I have never accused them of breaking it they seem to already becoming up with excuses like I dont know how it stopped working as the engineers went no where near the Gps etc. Also no firmware or baseband changes were made during the repair.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. csglinux macrumors member

Almost certainly, they broke your GPS. The GPS antenna connector sits right near the mute switch and they would have had to remove this to replace the power and mute buttons. Either they didn't reseat the connector properly or they shorted out the GPS chip on the motherboard. If it's just reseating the connector, it's an easy fix. Otherwise, get used to living without GPS.

3. FiXPOD macrumors newbie

Its not rare for this to happen. The connector for the GPS antenna is quite fragile and if its not inserted properly it will bend and that will break the connection. Depending on which side of the connection has been damaged you may be able to just replace the GPS ribbon. Either way, the repair shop should take responsibility and fix it for you.