Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacduJour

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles
Hi Everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I have owned an iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G, and today, I got myself an iPhone 3Gs. After activation, I plugged the 3Gs into my machine, and went through the registration process. After that, iTunes started restoring from backup. I thought great, everything will be back. I know this works because my 3G broke a few months ago and when I got a 3G replacement, I did the same restore process and all went well.

Well, imagine to my horror when I looked at my 3Gs and the wallpaper was my ex-girlfriend. Immediately I went into the phone, and wham -- my icons are all sooo iPhone 2G, sooo 2007! :eek: My photos are all the pictures I took with my 2G. All my restored data was from my 2G. The only salvation is that I have MobileMe, so at least my contacts, calendar and email were refreshed.

How did this happen? :confused: Where is my 3G backup? Anyone else run into this?

MacduJour

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles
Update: Old Restore...

I think I may have found my problem. Prior to restoring, you can choose a restore 'set' (for lack of a better term). I didn't notice when I first did this, so I didn't bother, so I think the restore process picked the first set. Well, if they're in chronological order, then it would make sense that the first one belongs to the 2G.

There are four sets, and of course they are all named the same :rolleyes:

I surmise the first is the 2G, the second is my first 3G, the third is my replacement 3G and the fourth is my current 3Gs.

So, I'm currently restoring from the third, and hopefully, that will solve my problem.

I wonder why the replacement 3G restored properly without me having to pick the right 'set.' Perhaps it knew to pick a 3G backup; with the 3Gs maybe it didn't know which one to pick, so it just went with the first one? :confused:

This is one area where I wish Apple added a prompt asking, "hey I noticed you are restoring to a new 3Gs. Wanna restore from most recent 3G backup, or do you want to restore from a 2007 2G backup, complete with ex-girlfriend pictures?" :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.