iPhone 3GS restore error 28.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by flyingninjas, Jun 19, 2011.

1. flyingninjas macrumors member

Is this a motherboard problem or a battery issue? My 3gs is locked in recovery mode, and restoring it only leads to error 28. I have tried many times to restore it. One time i was lucky and the restore acutally worked and i managed to get it to the home screen ( i took a photo of the settings about screen if that is helpful). THe batterey percentage said 43%, so my guess is it is not a battery issue? Two minites later, and without warning it instatly turns off and tries to boot, but just goes to recovery mode. Restoring it just goes to error 28, and this is where it is now. I have replaced the dock connector assembly inside the iphone, and that did not help. Also have tried dfu mode, but also did not help. any suggentions?

2. Epic Orange macrumors member

Epic Orange

I first suggest to get Recboot to kick it out of recovery mode. Then I would suggest to restore to 4.0/4.0.1/4.1/4.2.1/4.2.8. Reply to give me your results.

3. flyingninjas, Jun 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2011

flyingninjas thread starter macrumors member

i have just been clicking the restore button, not specifying any firmware, so 4.3.3 i have been using. have already tried recboot/tinyumbrelly recovery kick and it didnt work. this error comes up right after itunes is done 'verifying with apple' which is just after the loading bar first appears on the device. will try the different firmware.

4. Dumbledorelives macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

Definitely try a different firmware...then try a different computer. I found my iPhone wouldn't restore right on one computer, but would on another.

5. flyingninjas thread starter macrumors member

tried 4.0, 4.1,and 4.2.1. I got error 28 and 3194.

6. flyingninjas thread starter macrumors member

tried another computer still getting error 28... :(

7. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Error 28 is a hardware related issue. Restoring to any firmware will end up in with the error.

8. flyingninjas thread starter macrumors member

is it a battery issue or a motherboard issue? i replaced the dock connector assembly and that didnt help.

9. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Most likely the motherboard.

10. flyingninjas, Jun 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011

flyingninjas thread starter macrumors member

Then how did it work that one time? Batteries are more random and unpredictable then motherboards i think. Im just hoping it is a battery problem ($50 cheaper to replace).

Well, thanks for helping everyone.