iPhone 3GS root password

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by zmunkz, Jul 30, 2009.

1. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

Hey guys,

I got the iPhone 3Gs when it came out, but I only got around to jailbreaking it yesterday. The phone now has wealth of possibilities, and I have already installed a bunch of things. Now that the initial excitement has settled, I am concerned about things like the fact that anyone can login to my phone using the root password if I am on a public WiFi network.

I wanted to just use passwd and change it from the mobile terminal, but I thought I would ask a couple questions first.

1. Is there a password that allows the default user "mobile" to login that I might need to change too? Or is this user just an artifact of the MobileTerminal app I happen to be using?

2. Will I foobar the phone if I change the root password, or does everything play nicely? I assume passwd will make the change?

Along another line of thought, I was also a little curious about iPhone backups. If I have an issue with my phone and do a restore through iTunes, will it also restore the jailbroken stuff? Or is there another way to get a real backup of my phone's current state?

Thanks in advance everyone!

2. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Its Fubar, not foobar.
    It stands for f***ed up beyond all recognition.
    Just letting you know.

3. zmunkz thread starter macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

heh, sorry thats my computer engineering side shining though...

In CS/CE, every example method or variable takes on the name FOO or BAR, so I just stuck them together. I wonder which one inspired which...

4. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

1. Yeah, it's the same as root, alpine. :) But mobile runs in a more restricted mode than root. However I change my password for both.

2.You won't FUBAR it, no. Everything plays nice. I've always used passwd. :)

FUBAR inspired foobar. :)

5. zmunkz thread starter macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

Thanks a lot for the help and details! I will change my passwords now.

Should I put the questions about iTunes backup / restore into a different thread?

6. morse macrumors newbie

I don't think it will restore the jailbroken stuff. It hasn't ever for me in the past.

7. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Unfortunately it won't. But if you use AptBackup, in the app click Backup it will backup a list of your jailbroken apps and keeps them in a file that gets backed up in the normal process. Once you restore and rejailbreak, download AptBackup first and then click Restore. Worked twice so far for me. :)

8. sloooph macrumors newbie

any idea what is the password for root?
    i can't access the root using "alphine"..

thanks!

9. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

alpine.

10. sloooph macrumors newbie

oh.. i'm sorry.. :eek:

thanks!

11. zmunkz thread starter macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

It's alpine for both the user "root" and "mobile", as said above.

I'll also follow up here, I went ahead and changed both passwords, and everything works fine on the phone. A couple jailbroken apps prompt me for the root password, but other than that everything plays nicely.