IPhone 3GS Sale Through Craiglist

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ryhno45, Jul 22, 2009.

1. ryhno45 macrumors regular

Hello^^

I wanted to know if anyone could give me "pointers" regarding the sale of an IPhone 3GS through craiglist.
    I read around a little bit, and I know things like "To meet in person," and "Accept Cash Only."
    Is there anything else anyone would advise me to watch out for? Thank You!

And also, what do I have to do to prep an Iphone 3gs. The buyer requested it to be Jailbroken and Unlocked ^^
    Thank You!

2. outz macrumors 6502

meet in a very public place, try to not get robbed/killed etc.

3. Cescfabregas4 macrumors member

Meet them next a police station. That's very safe. Take a friend with you. Don't leave space between you and the potential buyer while he is examining your phone.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Unless you listed it JB and unlocked you should not do it. Of course, if you agreed you would then you would need to JB it and unlock it … now wouldn't you?

5. iphonedork macrumors newbie

I have delt on Craigslist a lot over the last couple years.

I agree with most and do the same. I take someone with me, cash only, check the bills to make sure serial numbers are not smeared. Always meet in a public place. in a coffee shop, book store, inside fast food. It is better to meet inside a place rather then a parking lot.

Yea maybe I'm a little paraniod but better safe then sorry.:cool:

6. Lakerfan210 macrumors regular

Here's a few tips:

Meet in a very public place, like grocery store or where there's cameras around. During daytime hours. If buyer insist to do it at night time then do it at your own risk.

Take somebody with you. And make sure that person rights down the buyers car license plate number if you were able to see their car. It might come handy if something goes wrong.

Count your money before leaving. If you have a counterfit marker take it. Buyer is going to test the phone so you have to test the bills. You're going to deal with a lot of money, I supposed, the last thing you want is monopoly money.

I've sold a lot of things on CL and so far no problems. But I always watch my back in case it does.

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

thats a dim view on humanity:(

ive sold and bought vehicles where i am the only one present on my end and all have been great experiences:)

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Recently as a buyer I came, wore a trench coat and carried a bat.
    I gave the girl $80 and walked away with my iPod.

9. TheNewsPaperBoy macrumors regular

TheNewsPaperBoy

Go to your bank, ask them if you can have a counterfeit pen to check the bills when you get them. I always check them in front of the buyer just tell them no offense its just how you do business. Also meet in a public place like a bookstore, perfect because its quiet and if you yell people are bound to look. Never meet at night, its just silly they can wait till day light. If you advertised it as just the 3GS you are not obligated to jailbreak/unlock if you did not advertise it that way. Find another buyer, there are so many whiney needy people on CL.

10. xanadeath macrumors 6502

xanadeath

bought wouldnt by any chance happen to mean steal a dude's car after using craigslist would it..... lol

11. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

eesh can we get a selling xyz on www.whateverwebsite.com forum? these questions come up every 3 days and have nothing to do with Apple stuff.

12. xanadeath macrumors 6502

xanadeath

Theres no forum on whateverwebsite.com. I feel lied to and betrayed. My feeling are hurt. lol

13. ryhno45 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank You all for the help ^^ I really appreciate it.

I think i might just bring the High School football team with me :D
    Hopefully that will be enough.

But definitely. I will check out the bank and ask for the pen. Thank You so much for that one!

I also Jailbroke/Unlock for free. It works out on both ends, I got to finally do it, and the person gets the benefit of it ^^

14. hedpetcd macrumors newbie

You will get a few serious responses, like 2-3. But don't be surprised when you get 100 emails a day from people from Nigeria. I got many saying I'm buying this for my wife please send it to Nigeria. Then got fake emails saying I was paid then like two minutes after the fake paypal emails he was sending me messages why hasn't it been sent yet I'm calling the FBI.. blah blah blah

15. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

You can buy the pen at any stationary store like Office Max, Staples, etc....:cool::cool::cool:

16. bmwpowere36m3 macrumors 6502

As a seller I try and pick a "public" area, but nothing crazy whatevers' local... I still have some faith in humans. As a buyer, I've been to people's homes and meet them in public places... just remember to be smart. Also only bring as much cash as needed for the sale. I've always bought/sold alone, but you can use your own judgement.... though I have to say everytime I've sold something, the buyer's came with somebody.

I was selling a set of old used Mercedes wheels, and the buyer, a pretty diesel dude, brought his friend with him, I thought it was pretty funny :D