iPhone 3GS Screen black from static damage?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bystanderno1, Feb 27, 2013.

1. bystanderno1 macrumors newbie

basically I was repairing my girlfriends 3gs, and being lord of the idiots that i am just to double check ,( as only half the touch screen wasn't responding) i used an eraser on the connecters for the screen and digitizer....then proceeded to remove some of the some filings left with a small screw driver....really scratching some of the connectors...then low and behold the phone will not turn on now...well the screen isnt anyway.

Have i been a complete moron and broken a perfectly good lcd and maybe her entire phone?

2. The Bogeyman macrumors regular

The Bogeyman

You could very well have shorted something out with the loose filings, or of course delivered a static shock to the CPU (not as likely). The trouble with iOS devices is that the battery is always connected, so there is always some current flowing. You can't short out something which has no current in it. Just check that you have reconnected everything properly before you panic. You never know, you could have left something loose or not connected it properly. If you still have no joy, I would suggest you take it to a professional.