iPhone 3GS screen broken WTF?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GreggM3, Aug 16, 2009.

1. GreggM3 macrumors 6502

I have a beat to death 1rst Gen iPhone with big dents and no problems. I have my old 3G that my wife uses which floats in her purse naked and is scratched up like crazy and has been dropped a hundred times with no problems. My 3G S is babied and always in a case or in my car mount and has a screen protector on it. Today I take it off my Seidio belt clip and notice a hairline crack going diagonally across the screen. The phone is always protected has never been dropped and never been sat on or crushed. How the hell did it crack and what will Apple do for me?

2. Kyeris macrumors 6502

Why are you asking us? It completely depends on the genius you're stuck with. So, go find out.

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

can't say this enough

make a appointment, be nice and try not hot headed remember regardless of what happened he didn't do it. explain to the genius what happened and hope for the best. that pretty much sums it up. good luck!

4. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

The phone's screen won't crack on it's own. You or someone must have damaged it. The plastic back can crack on it's own, but that's a known defect. It will be $199 to replace. I take great care on My Apple products, an have ne'er had a HW issue yet.

5. danj122 macrumors member

Please elaborate on the plastic back cracking on its own.

Mine has done just this last week and I just thought I must have done it without realising but im 100% certain it has not been dropped or mis handled.

Is this defect known by the apple genius people and will they replace my phone if i take it in, or will they laugh at me and implicate that I must have done it myself?

6. arubinst macrumors 6502

Not true! The screen of my 3G (not 3Gs) did crack "on its own". It was a very short hairline running from one of the sides of the phone. Neither me nor anyone else damaged it. The phone was not dropped o sat on or crushed. It didn't have a screen protector or a case, but was alway treated like a baby.

I took it to the Genius Bar (in Geneva, Switzerland) and I was told that this was a known issue and I received a replacement.

7. christyn macrumors 6502a

Most likely they will replace it. It is a reported issue.
    My husband and I had identical hairline cracks by the usb port of ours, and it was done with no problem. If a genius refuses it, just go back later to a different one.

8. labman macrumors 604

labman

like I said

take it too apple discuss the issue with them there is no other way to really get a answer. here we can't see it don't have full access to apple inside info. if they have known reports of it being a problem it is much more likely they will exchange it. So make your appointment and good luck.

9. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

For the back cracking see here. http://tinyurl.com/mncdm7
    As for the screen cracking. I baby my Original iPhone. I'm harsh with my iPod touch, but no cracks in the glass. My brother treats his iPhone with some care, but it has fallen on to concrete from 5 feet and just a scuff on the bezel. My neighbors 3GS and 3G, both are white, are tortured. They fall on to the asphalt, fly off the counter top, off the top of his car, and down a set of metal stairs into a puddle. They work. The back is in terrible shape, and the glass has some nasty scratches on it. Some are really deep, and all of those incidents, I've whiteness. So you must have done something to yours that made it crack. The iPhones seem to be durable, at least the ones i've used and seen. I did crack the glass on my iPod touch, when if fell face first on to a rock from 5 feet, but I paid for a replacement. I only use a screen protector. My brother's iPhone 3G, neighbors 3G and 3GS all have these hairline cracks in places like sim card tray. ringer switch. volume rocker, headset jack and camera. Do they bother them? No. They treat their phones roughly, and it barley noticeable unless you shine a light on the back of the phone.

My point is that iPhones, do have issues with the plastic, but glass won't crack on its own.