Iphone 3gs screen dim/not working after replacement

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Lowman905, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Lowman905 macrumors newbie

I replaced a touch screen on a 3gs for a friend. The phone had been dropped and shattered the screen. When i took the phone apart the little tab that holds the #3 connector in place was broken. I was able to use a small strip of hockey tape to secure the rippon in place. When I turned the phone on it was very dim. I disassembled the phone and put it together again to make sure i hadn't made an error. The screen was dim again. I read in a few forums that possible updating the phone could solve the problem, it connected to itunes and updated without any problems. It rebooted and the screen was dim. I tried changing the LCD screen and the screen stayed dim. I left the phone for a short time and came back and it was very hot. I disassembled and took the battery out. I reassembled again and it will connect to itunes but I get nothing on the screen. All of the connections look fine with the exception of #3 which is being held inplace with hockey tape. Would missing that connector be causing me all of this grief? :(

2. Lowman905 thread starter macrumors newbie

The original LCD makes the battery heat up. The new one looks fine other than there is nothing on the screen. It connects to itunes, you hear the sound when you plug it in just nothing on the screen.