iPhone 3gs screen problem

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Chiv, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Chiv macrumors newbie

A friend was having trouble with his iPhone so I told him I'd take a look. The screen looks reddish, almost sepia, and it's filled with scanlines. When I switch pages the icons get distorted as they move. Also, when looking at menus or apps that have straight lines drawn, such as the contact book, the lines seem to sttuter. It definitely is a hardware problem since it looks like this even during startup, and I also took a snapshot and used my computer to view it and it was just fine.
    Somebody advised him to reinstall the firmware, I honestly think it won't work. What's should I do? Call apple? Change the screen myself? Thanks.

2. Gadgetgeezer macrumors regular

Probably needs new LCD. Never fix somebody elses phone in case you ruin it. Find a decent repairer or go to apple. I am a uk based repairer who has seen many phones wrecked by people thinking they can fix them hence please take my advice.

3. Chiv thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I'll contact my friend and tell him what's up. Would you kindly tell me which screen should I buy in case I were to replace it myself? If you were to give me a link on amazon or something similar I'd greatly appreciate it (if not I'll just do some more research). I trust myself to be able to do it, it's not the first time I disassemble sensitive equipment ;)
    Thanks!!