Iphone 3GS screen stops being touch sensitive ! bug or should I get it replaced?!?!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by theshadow07039, Jun 19, 2009.

1. theshadow07039 macrumors member

Hi I picked my 3GS at 7 am and I noticed something weird when i went to settings and I couldn't turn off 3G or scroll up or down, i went back to the home screen and it was fine, 30 minutes later as I'm listening to music I can't pause it and when I go back to the home screen I can't move between pages open apps or nothing, I restarted my phone and so far no probs, I made an appointment on sunday for genius bar and was wondering what you guys think, did the restart fix it or should I go replace my 32 gig black on sunday, I'm so depressed cause I had an Iphone first gen and it never gave me problems and seriously changed my life and this was supposed to be the epic upgrade of an already epic phone T_T

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

I have had an unresponsive screen on my 2G once in awhile.

3. jfreak623 macrumors 6502

i think it is a 3.0 bug. Shortly after installing 3.0 on my old 3G, i was experiencing the same problem

4. theshadow07039 thread starter macrumors member

Thank guys I've been so upset, I'm moving to china on wed for work and research and my iphone literally has my entire life on it and is a godsend but this no responsive screen is upsetting as hell when I loaded 3.0 on my first gen I never had this problem and its just really depressing me, is anyone else experiencing this with their 3GS??

5. fernaut macrumors newbie

I have the exact same problem with my new 3GS 16Gb. It sounds to me like it's a hardware fault from some reading I've done. Do you have a fix yet? I'm about to ring Apple Care.

6. Reiger macrumors regular

I had the exact same issues. The screen would randomly become unresponive to touch. The only way to get it to respond again was by locking and unlocking it. On my 3GS it was fixed by beta 2 of 3.1 :D.

7. TheBeanSoldier macrumors newbie

I have the same prob with my 3gs 32gb. thought it was the screen protector, so I took it off (the screen feels awesome without it). It used to happen once or twice a day, but now it's happening so frequently that I lost count. I used to be able to lock/unlock, but occasionally I have to lock/unlock more than once to get it to be responsive again. It's really irritating especially during an SMS chat, or playing tap tap.

I have a genius appointment on the 21st. I hope it's a software bug like a memory leak or something, cause I'd really hate to get a refurb as a replacement.

8. fernaut macrumors newbie

Sounds reassuring, how do I go about getting the beta 2 of 3.1?

9. Reiger macrumors regular

You have to be a developer or become enlisted by a developer (by him or her adding your iPhone's UDID).

10. fernaut macrumors newbie

No fixes, now waiting for a replacement

Just thought I'd update my progress. I still have the same problem with the touchscreen freezing. Some days it happens a lot and other days not so much. Anyway, it has become way too annoying and so I called Apple who offered me a replacement delivered to my house for £29 as I don't live anywhere near and Apple Store. I wasn't sure about the cost but then they offered me an Apple care product for £59 which extends the year warranty to 2 years and you can have as many replacements delivered to your door as you need (including for battery degradation).

I went for this yesterday and as I was typing this the entry my brand new replacement has been delivered. Excellent service and peace of mind now for 2 years :)

Now I just need to activate and restore the new phone from my backup and send back the duff phone in the packaging they provided :)

11. CKohkah macrumors 6502

I'm having the same issue with my 3GS. Gonna call apple care on Monday.