iPhone 3GS - Should I wait for the new unlock?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by GGMagic, Mar 4, 2011.

1. GGMagic, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011

GGMagic macrumors newbie

GGMagic

Hi guys,

Hoping someone can provide some advice on my current situation which is as follows:

I have an iPhone 3GS updated to the latest 4.1.2 OS and baseband 05.15.04. I understand there is currently one method to unlock my phone by updating to an iPad baseband and using RedSnow.

However, I'm concerned this may be a risky option because of the fact that there is currently no way to downgrade that baseband back to a normal iPhone one and I will not be able to restore to any original .IPSW, only custom ones. Also, I have heard I may lose GPS functionality.

Would you suggest I wait until iOS 4.3 is released next Friday and hope for a better unlock method which hopefully works for my current 05.15.04 baseband or do you think I should go ahead and upgrade to an iPad baseband and unlock my device that way? I gather from what I have read, it seems I should definitely wait it out because the iPad baseband-upgrade unlock method sounds like its a bad idea.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, I would wait.
    Hope its no longer than a few weeks away.

3. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Am I allow to give my opinion on this? :confused::D

No....I will pass!

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

People create threads already, they just waiting for my opinion before stomping me though:p

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

6. GGMagic thread starter macrumors newbie

GGMagic

So if the Dev team release an unlock for 4.3, would it be for the firmware AND a new baseband or would it be for just the firmware? In other words, will my baseband become unlock-able based on their new exploit or will I still be in a bad situation?

Also, is there any other method to unlock my phone? Downgrade the baseband potentially? I'm not sure :confused:

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

When they release the next unlock it will be compatible with the official 4.3 baseband and most likely with the 4.21 and 4.1 judging from past BB exploits beeing compatible with multiple versions.
    On a 3GS there's no way to downgrade your baseband.
    You either wait for the new unlock or take the plunge and install the ipad BB and deal with all the sideffects that come with it.
    Up to you.

8. GGMagic thread starter macrumors newbie

GGMagic

Got it.

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely hold out for the new unlock.

9. gooddeal macrumors regular

gooddeal

...just a point that many people w/ iphone 4 have been waiting since mid Nov...oh, they will release a new unlock after 4.2 is out...etc.

10. GGMagic thread starter macrumors newbie

GGMagic

Am I sensing some sarcasm in that reply? Are you trying to say that people have been waiting after being led to believe an unlock would come out after 4.2 and have yet to receive such an unlock?

11. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

Thats exactly what hes saying