iPhone 3GS shutoff issue

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Meldar, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Meldar macrumors regular

Meldar

Hi,

My mother has been having a great deal of trouble with her new iPhone 3GS. Or maybe I should say...her iPhone 3GS's. The first one, within a month of her buying it, completely died when the battery suddenly ceased all operation. Nothing could be done to save the first one.

The second one, completely identical but brand new as of early October, just died earlier today. She had been doing nothing more than talking on the phone prior to using the GPS - the phone simply shut off. When plugged into a car charger, the charger itself turned green after some time but the phone simply would not start up.

I got it to the Apple Logo screen by holding down the Home and Power buttons together for about 15 seconds. This was a shot in the dark, as I have had experience in the past with fixing Apple machines by holding down keys/buttons for awhile.

Thing is, the battery readout was only 66% at that time. My mother is very (rightfully) concerned that she may be at risk for another unanticipated battery crash and is very fed up with the iPhone in general at this point.

What exactly happened? Has this happened to anyone else?

I'm really just trying to glean information here...and of course, if any more odd battery issues pop up, I will post them here.

It should be noted that my father also bought a 3GS, a week before my mother, and has had no problems whatsoever. He also uses his more.

Nothing here adds up. What's going on?

2. ralphcastle macrumors newbie

i would advise you to make an eppointment and have them check it. they'll prolly end up giving u another phone. make sure u make a new restore dont use the old one.

i wish mine at least turned on

-ralph-

3. Meldar thread starter macrumors regular

Meldar

That is exactly what we did with the first one (which would not turn on) and is also the reason we are fast losing faith in iPhones.