Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

betito477

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2011
My old 3GS that I bought on release date shuts off randomly when using it even though there's still anywhere from 20-80 percent battery left.

It will only turn on if I connect it to a charger through wall or USB.

I want to sell my phone but I can't sell it like this. Is this a bad battery issue that can be replaced? Or is it the logic board failing?

paul117

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2012
My old 3GS that I bought on release date shuts off randomly when using it even though there's still anywhere from 20-80 percent battery left.

It will only turn on if I connect it to a charger through wall or USB.

I want to sell my phone but I can't sell it like this. Is this a bad battery issue that can be replaced? Or is it the logic board failing?

start of last year my old iphone 3gs did the same thing.... when i attempted to turn it on it would say it was flat... i plug it in to a charger then it turns on right away and works fine again.... in my case it was the logic board. it was still under warrenty at the time and was replaced by apple on the spot.

entractiv

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2012
My 4S does the same thing. Worked fine for a few months and then started shutting down even though the battery said it still had a charge. To fix it, they have sent out 4 replacement phones so far -- each one has the same issue. Have tried using a different charger, restoring the phone, resetting the phone, using a different Apple ID and nothing works. It can't be the phones since everyone of them have had the same problem. If anyone has any answers I would be most greatful...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.