iPhone 3gs smashed, is it possible to fix it?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by zxoraz, Feb 16, 2011.

1. zxoraz macrumors member

Hey guys,
    My iPhone is totally smashed
    check the image on this link: http://i55.tinypic.com/20ths0h.jpg

a few details about the iPhone:
    1) When I'm connecting the iPhone to the computer, iTunes detects it.
    2) When I plug it to the adapter it sometimes makes the sound that tells its charging, but even after I'm charging it, iTunes shows me that the battery is almost empty (only one tiny line on the battery icon)..
    3) The LCD is not working at all, but sometimes when i press the buttons i can see the light on the screen.
    4) when i switch to mute (using the mute switch on the side) it sometimes vibrates.

So I came here to ask, if it's possible to fix this iPhone,How do I fix it? and how much will its cost? (using the cheapest parts, I'm currently low on budget.)

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the bad english :)

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

You probably could replace the screen, but it will be expensive and probably not worth it. I know in the US at least and probably elsewhere you can take it to Apple and they will sell you a refurb for $199, that or buying a used iPhone is probably your best bet.

3. zxoraz thread starter macrumors member

Hi, are you sure it that will be so expensive?
    I've tried to search for parts on eBay and found them for pretty low prices,
    For example I've seen a LCD display for 10$
    Am I missing something? :confused:

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

The screen itself may not be too expensive, but I don't think it's possible that your iPhone could have survived that much damage with only a broken screen, once you replace the screen you will find another problem.

5. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

It is not expensive at all if you know how to put it together. You need;

1. New LCD which costs around $22.00
    2. New digitizer which costs around $9.00
    3. If you want, replace the new back housing which costs around $20.00

It will take around 1.5 hours to complete.

6. zxoraz thread starter macrumors member

I think he's right though..
    The iPhone is really damaged, I guess that some chips inside of it are damaged too, so yea I guess I'm not gonna try to fix it, maybe you guys have any trick to tell if the phone itself is fine except for the screen?

p.s, the iPhone was damaged from water too, so maybe thats causing the problems too..

ugh I think that this iPhone has no hope. lol

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If it was only the screen that was damaged then iTunes would recognize it, it would charge normally, it also shouldn't vibrate when you use the mute switch. and yeah, if it's got water damage then it's pretty likely to have other problems because of that even if it survived being crushed.

8. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I love how the bottom picture says the screen "just fell off." :D

If you know how to fix it yourself, it'll definitely be cheaper, but will take longer too. Other than that, get it replaced at an Apple store or just sell it for parts and get a new 4.

9. zxoraz thread starter macrumors member

hehe, thanks for the reply,
    uhm you think that I will be able to buy one for a cheaper price if I give them a broken one?
    (I didn't buy it from an Apple store, I bought it in Israel if it matters)

10. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

If the phone is still under warranty, they can offer you $199 for a refurbished one. If you're in the US of course. Though they have a little section about "catastrophic damage." It basically says they won't provide a warranty replacemenet if the phone you show them has been damaged so much that it's unrepairable. Like if the phone separated in half, for example. You'll have to contact them to figure that out though

11. Tailpike1153 macrumors 6502a

Tailpike1153