iphone 3gs sound issue - no sound for msgs/alerts

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by wez99950, Apr 27, 2010.

1. wez99950 macrumors member

just bought the iphone second hand and this is my first iphone so still learning the ropes. for some reason, and i have looked at all the settings and i can't seem to find a solution, the phone rings when i have a phone call, sound for alarm but no sound for SMS, notifications, random noises e.g. locking the iphone.
    Does anyone know how to fix this? I'm sure there's a simple answer but i just can't seem to see it! If there isn't, would i be as well off to restore the ipod and start again?

2. CSMchris376 macrumors regular

The area to adjust all sounds is in the same location. Go to settings, sound, and there you will see the settings. You can adjust the sound for SMS from one of the selection Apple provides, and you can turn off or on the other sounds you mention.

However, if you are saying you have them on and nothing is happening, then the first thing would be a reset, where you hold down the power and home buttons together until you see the Apple logo, ignoring the slide to power off screen. If that doesn't do it, then a restore would be next, first from a backup and if no fix, then as a new phone, or not from backup.

Since it is a 3GS, it should still have a warranty. The warranty goes with the device, not the person. You could always take it to the Genius Bar and have them check it out. All you need to do is make an appointment, and you can do that online at www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar