iPhone 3GS Sound quality

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iWoz, Jul 16, 2009.

1. iWoz macrumors 6502a

iWoz

Is it just me or has the sound quality improved significantly?

Music is louder
    Ringtones Louder
    Voicemail you can hear alot better

I went to a concert last night and used the voice recorder and it came out almost crystal clear even though there were thousands of screaming girls around.

I only wish the camera had a zoom!!

2. Macjames macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Yes I've noticed the same as you.

3. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

I've found that when calling some landlines, the sound from the other end is somewhat muffled...

Will have to experiment further, but I don't really use my iPhone as a phone!

4. iGeRmAn macrumors regular

Then you probably have too much money ;)

Should have bought a "Touch"

5. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Haha!

I thought about it, but no 3G data or SMS on the Touch was a deal breaker. ;)

6. slabman macrumors member

Both my sons have the 3Gs and one called from Hawaii the other day with such improved tone quality the WIFE even noticed it! The other son's phone also sounded great while talking and walking along a windy beach in So. Carolina.

7. iWoz thread starter macrumors 6502a

iWoz

Cool, so looks like it wasn't a problem with my 3G, But an Improvement in the 3GS.

Nice dig at the wifes hearing, Im sure you wrote that when she wasn't around :D

8. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

When I had the 3GS, the sound was distorted. I had to turn my ringer volume to almost half to get the distortion to go away. Shame.

Edit: Not that anyone calls me. The tritone was distorted on text messages though.

9. lavinci macrumors 6502

Sometimes my lock sounds are somewhat low and distorted.

10. GedBlue macrumors member

GedBlue

Any music I get from the iTunes store, or rip from CDs at high bitrates sounds absolutely brilliant through my iPhone 3GS - very happy!

Lots of people mention apple lossless for sound quality, but I don't think it's necessary. :D

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The 3G went as loud as it could be without distorting. People demanded an even louder ringing, so Apple said 'ok' and now the 3GS is twice as loud but, you guesses it, with distortion.

So now you have the choice to set it to 50% (the old 100%) or put it all the way to 100% (the old 200%). It's up to the user.

Sometimes you just want to hear the phone ring no matter what, so I like the choice. You'd prefer to not have the option to pick for yourself?