iPhone 3GS Speaker Issue

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Dman51, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Dman51 macrumors newbie

I have had all 3 generations of the iPhone and none up to this point have sounded like the 3GS. The sound when receiving a text seems very muffled and the same goes for my ringtone. My music is not terrible and I dont have any EQ on so its not that. Is anyone else hearing this? I have seen 3 other 3GS' with the same thing.

2. p01ntbLanK macrumors newbie

Yes i noticed the same thing last night. I use the tri-tone sound and last night it went of and I was thinking in my head, wtf was that? My volume was turned up all the way which is why I think it happened. When I lowered the volume to about half, it sounded normal again. Weird.

3. Dman51 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah my volume was all the way up but even so I never had that problem. I lowered it and it was clear, though not loud enough if I was anywhere with a normal level of volume.

4. lilstu macrumors newbie

Tin-like sound whilst playing message tone

Hi all,

being a complete iphone geek with an OCD, i would have to unfortunately agree.

i had a PAYG one on friday that did it, and i got a pay monthly one yesterday that also does it.... not sure if its everyones or just the two i have got though.

keep me updated

5. art-boy macrumors newbie

iPhone 3GS Speaker Issues

I have a 16GB 3G and have never noticed anything strange about my speaker but my new 32GB 3GS is extremely muffled and distorted at higher volumes with music or ringtones through its built in speaker.
    I thought that my issues might be isolated, but it seems like a few people are having this exact problem... I guess I will call Apple.

6. digitalfx macrumors 6502a

digitalfx

mine is the same way...muffled sounds. My 3G was fine. It seems to be common on the 3GS as several other phones here at work are all the same. Hopefully fw will address it.

7. jimlyonsie macrumors member

in comparison to my 3g the external speaker is terrible. i really hope that this is sorted in the FW upgrade. I always use the external speaker to listen to music, and it gets quite distorted over 50% volume which is frankly unacceptable. Have any of the devs noticed whether the new 3.1 sorts this common problem out?

8. mikejfrd macrumors regular

my left speaker is much louder then the right speaker. Anyone else experience that?

9. jimlyonsie macrumors member

there is only 1 external speaker. the other is a microphone. that will explain that problem! :p

10. mikejfrd macrumors regular

hahahaha BAHHHZZZZING!!!

Thanks!!!

11. pinwanger macrumors member

I talked to Apple "Genius" Today and they said they it's normal...basically what happens after u raised the limiter on the speaker w/o actually upgrading the speaker....and i told him that is total bs

12. jimlyonsie macrumors member

So then according to his logic all :apple: need to do is reduce the 'limiter' right?