iPhone 3Gs Speaker Not Working

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by stezza333, Sep 15, 2009.

1. stezza333 macrumors regular

For those who've clicked this thread hoping to laugh at a guy who thinks the mic is a speaker thats not working, sorry to disappoint ;)

I've currently got a iPhone 3Gs running 3.0 jailbroken.

A couple of days ago my speaker stopped working (not the earphone speaker). I believe it's probably hardware related as moments before it stopped working completely, the sound was crackling and kept cutting in and out.

Now, I can't restore to 3.0 as you're all aware, I can't update to 3.1 since I want to keep my phone jailbroken in the future, and I can't take it to apple jailbroken.

Is this correct? Are these my only options?

Thanks

2. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Just restore to 3.0.1. It won't break the phone, just the jailbreak. Take it to Apple, get it swopped out and jailbreak your new one. Just make sure you don't upgrade to 3.1.

3. stezza333 thread starter macrumors regular

I thought apple weren't verifying any firmware below 3.1, meaning I can't restore to a older firmware? Is there a workaround?

What if apple repair the phone, will they update it? Or if they give me a new one, it will most likely come with 3.1, yes?

Keep in mind I wish to jailbreak in the future.

4. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

You're right that you can only update to 3.1 now, unless you already used Cydia to store your ECID when you jailbroke 3.0. (If you did that, here's how you use it: http://www.saurik.com/id/12 )

Just a thought - this can be caused by dust or stuff in the earphone sockets, and people have fixed it by using an air-jet to blow out the socket, and also sometimes by repeatedly plugging and unplugging the earphones. Have you tried that?

5. stezza333 thread starter macrumors regular

I didn't store my ECID. That will teach me :(

I already tried the headphone thing. I'll check to see if the speaker is clean and dust free but I don't think it will help.

Thanks for your help.

6. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Apple actully state that the screen coating will, in time, wear off. They also advise to never use glass cleaning solutions.

7. Gin Gin macrumors regular

Gin Gin

And WTH does that have to do with the OP's speaker not working?:confused: