iPhone 3GS speed improvements with 3rd Party Apps

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhone guru, Jun 19, 2009.

1. iPhone guru macrumors member

I just got my brand new iPhone 3GS :) :) :) and since there is not much information out yet about the speed improvements with 3rd Party apps I would like to share some of my first impressions:

After very brief testing I found that in average my 3rd party apps seem to launch about 1.6x faster. I will measure some exact speeds but this seems to be the case with all apps.

With games like Flight control that do not use the hardware to the edge there is no difference at all. Real racing seems to offer a little better frame rate, but that is hard to measure.

Since the 3GS still fits in my bike mount I could test B.iCycle for a short ride today. Launch time is down from about 10s to just 5s. The map interface seems more snappy and even that the UI was already smooth with the 3G, now it feels really snappy. You cannot measure, but you can feel the difference.

All in all I have to say that the improved performance of the 3GS makes a difference in general usage. Initially I did the upgrade for the video recording but now I'm really that I did the upgrade. What is your experience?

2. iPhone guru thread starter macrumors member

I forgot to mention Skype! This is really a big difference. It launches much faster and is very responsive. The active contacts are shown twice as fast as with my 3G. Again it's hard to tell the difference in numbers buts it's just so much more fun to use! :)

3. Coachmcguirk macrumors newbie

4. harry20larry macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

3G-S vs 3G: The Comparison

hey guys,
    I have made a video comparing the speed differences and camera quality between the two phones to show people the dramatic increase between the two devices, hope you enjoy the video (Sorry about the music, it was the only song I had that was 2:41 long):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnFT8CeH3f4

5. iPhone guru thread starter macrumors member

I'm wondering what the difference on an app like the TomTom navigator would be like?

6. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Nice video! Thanks for sharing!!

7. iPhone guru thread starter macrumors member

Yeah! Cool video!!! :)

I wish I could do my own video like that biking with the iPhone on the handle bar and showing my top speed in B.iCycle. But the 3GS is my only video camera so I could only film the front wheel... :D

8. sgrizzle macrumors member

sgrizzle

The Star Trek game loads something like 4x-5x faster. The loading screen between levels is now just a flash.

9. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Wow. So I'll actually be able to play games on my phone now? I've been taking my iPod touch 2G with me because it's so much faster; the slowness of my my iPhone 3G drives me crazy!!!

10. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Wow.

That is quite a difference.

Great video.

I think I have to find a way to get this phone now.

11. dougster macrumors newbie

I'm using B.iCycle with the 3G iPhone and I'm happy to hear that works that well with the 3GS and OS 3.0! And I can even use my current bike mount???

I will upgrade the OS today and check the performance with all my 3rd party apps. If the increase all you guys write about is only caused by the new hardware I'll probably get the 3GS very soon.

12. iPhone guru thread starter macrumors member

Yes, you can use the existing bike mount with the 3GS. That's what I'm doing. The external form factor of the 3GS is exactly the same.

Although B.iCycle runs really smooth on the 3G as well the 3GS is worth the upgrade from my experience. All the apps are launching way faster and feels so much more resistive!