iPhone 3Gs Speedometer not working

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by wolffee027, Feb 15, 2011.

1. wolffee027 macrumors newbie

I recently upgraded to an iPhone and while out on my boat I downloaded a speedometer app and it worked great. Now I go to use it again and it opens fine but doesnt want to show any speed it just stays at 0mph. I have checked my location services and its on and there is the little purple arrow next to the app in the location services menu saying that the app has requested services within the last 24hours. Is there something I can do to get this to work again its a great tool. Thank you much for any help.

Ryan

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Go to your Home screen (press the home button).
    Double tap your home button.
    Tap and hold over your speedo app until the 4 little app icons start wriggling.
    Then tap the little 'x' above the app.

This will quit the app. Reopen the app and test it again.

3. wolffee027 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have tired that already. I even tried deleting the entire app, and re-downloading it and still nothing. Tried turning phone on and off with no help. Even tried downloading a different speedometer app and it didnt work either and it was one I had to pay for so it should have been a better one then the free ones. They just sit at 0mph with no error messages. Wondering if there is something that I need to reset or something else that times out. thanks

Ryan

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Okay sorry if my first post assumed too little.

So, do other apps have any problem accessing GPS functions?

5. wolffee027 thread starter macrumors newbie

Not that I know of the only other one that i can use it MAPS. If i do directions it says it would like to use my current location and I say yes and it draws out the line and starts me on my way so that works just fine.

6. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

This is a long shot: are you on wireless atm? Wireless can give you a location for Maps to use and could hide problems with your GPS.

Can you turn off the wireless and maybe turn on/off the phone as well and give it a go? And how are you testing speed? Are you driving/running?

7. wolffee027 thread starter macrumors newbie

Not really sure what you mean by wireless atm like bank atm? Not sure. I have tested in boat and in truck. My wi-fi is off.

8. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Ah sorry. That means 'are you on wireless at the moment'.

I'm not sure what could be causing your problem. I can only suggest that you do a restore via iTunes to factory, test if the problem still exists. If it does, you can take it to an Apple store for them to confirm a problem. Or if the problem goes away, you can reload apps (some app data will be missing) gradually and see if it comes back.

As long as you keep the restored iPhone name different, you can restore your old data/settings from a previous backup to the way it was before you reset.

9. wolffee027 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well actually now I dont think that the MAPS is working either. It starts and draws the line but when I went for a drive just now it drops the sart pin in a different location then where I am even though I said to use current location. I will try the itunes reset as I have no music or anything stored at the time. I ahve only had the phone for a week. How do I do the iTunes reset I went to iTunes but didnt see anything there. Thanks again for all your help

Ryan

10. sammich, Feb 15, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2011

sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Here you go, just open the tab for 'Restoring your iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch' and follow the instructions.

Good luck!

EDIT: you might want this link (oops) http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1414