Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jqc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Just thought I'd post as an FYI, had 2g since launch, upgraded to 3g in April, 3g speeds were horrendous (no more than 300k), no 3g reception in apt and office, both in midtown. Returned after a week. Got 3GS, and speed much improved, get good 3g reception, and usuall download speeds over 1 mb..so for all you new yorkers on the fence due to reception, seems like AT&T has improved dramatically in the city.

jw nyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
Just thought I'd post as an FYI, had 2g since launch, upgraded to 3g in April, 3g speeds were horrendous (no more than 300k), no 3g reception in apt and office, both in midtown. Returned after a week. Got 3GS, and speed much improved, get good 3g reception, and usuall download speeds over 1 mb..so for all you new yorkers on the fence due to reception, seems like AT&T has improved dramatically in the city.

Try going to i.dslr.net/tinyspeedtest.html and let us know your speed. I just tried it in NYC and got a speed of 448kbps. Earlier today I got 673kbps. It's usually around the latter number for me in the city.

hokiepokie07

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
AT&T is notoriously bad in NYC.

it's because so many people use it. They are updating it I believe to handle the large amount of traffic.

Same thing applies to the Internet. It could be a bit slower at times because of traffic.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
it's because so many people use it. They are updating it I believe to handle the large amount of traffic.

Same thing applies to the Internet. It could be a bit slower at times because of traffic.

Yep. AT&T overselling their capacity. Just like most internet ISPs.
Surprise, AT&T! People actually want to use the devices you sell for your network.

Hwa1201

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2009
i also live in nyc and i dont have problem with 3g speed.
I just did a speedtest from the above link and i got 863kbps.
I got the iphone 3gs.

CarlyLyon

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2009
i would go to the app store and yell at them and maybe its your phones attenna thats messed up

jqc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Try going to i.dslr.net/tinyspeedtest.html and let us know your speed. I just tried it in NYC and got a speed of 448kbps. Earlier today I got 673kbps. It's usually around the latter number for me in the city.

using the speedtest app, i will typically get over 1,000kb, my slowest so far is 249.

Gangis

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2006
I was in NYC this past weekend (Live in Central Florida) and remember getting about 800KBps tethering with my iPhone 3GS. Didn't really have any complaints.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
my lawnghisland friend was telling me the other day that he has consistently encountered ONE spot in Manhattan that just does not seem to have coverage.

he gave me street names and everything, something like a 3 block section lol

Gangis

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2006
my lawnghisland friend was telling me the other day that he has consistently encountered ONE spot in Manhattan that just does not seem to have coverage.

he gave me street names and everything, something like a 3 block section lol

Hah, where's that? I'm curious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.