iphone 3gs started making funny sounds all of a sudden (video)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by advres, Jul 9, 2010.

1. advres Guest

advres

So I was just chilling playing a little cribbage. My stove buzzer went off so I put the phone to sleep and got up to attend to dinner. I hear this crazy sound coming from behind me as I get off the couch. I think it is weird and go about my business. After dinner I get a text message so after replying I put the phone to sleep and sure enough the sound happened again.

So I have been playing around and this now happens every time I shutdown my phone. Nothing happens when it is on silent (which it seldom is). I will try the usual to fix it before trying to bring it back but was just wondering if anyone else has witnessed something similar? This phone is 2 months old and is a free replacement of my last 3gs that **** the bed on me.

Here's a quick demo I threw on youtube for you to hear what I am talking about:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuMrAsLI07s

2. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Sounds like your phone needs a new fan belt. :p

Sounds like reverberation of some sort.

3. advres thread starter Guest

advres

I thought it was a steroid crazed predator in my house but it turns out to just be my phone ;)

I though about feedback and took it to multiple different rooms to see if anything around me was effecting it and it is not.

4. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Sounds like the click from locking the phone is feeding itself in a loop through your mic and speakers for some reason. Really weird. A restore will probably fix it. If not, off to the Genius Bar!

5. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

What happens when you cover the MIC with your thumb really tight before you lock it and hold it on there? Does it still do it?

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Some iPhone 4's also have this problem. If you're running iOS 4 then it's software based and cause by certain apps that use the microphone. Best just to wait for Apple to fix the bug.

7. advres thread starter Guest

advres

The weirdness continues but led to a fix? I get a phone call and answer it and I get this crazy echo of my own voice back into my ear piece. So the person on the other end hangs up because they thought it was a connection problem (told me later). I lock my phone and the sound didn't happen this time. I called my friend back and everything worked fine and now the noise has stopped. I have tried to replicate it unsuccessfully about 20 times now to no avail and this has happened every single time for maybe the last 50 or so times.

really strange....

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Odd indeed. The app that was used to demonstrate this bug on the iPhone 4 was Shazam with the iPod app playing music. If you're up for some experimentation give it a go.

9. advres thread starter Guest

advres

Just tried it. The music reduced the volume like when a phone call comes in and shazam tries doing its thing. I tried locking the phone before shazam finished and again after if vibrated and said it couldn't find the song. Can't replicate the noise anymore!!!!