iPhone 3GS Static Noise/Interference On Calls

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by DryEyez, Nov 3, 2011.

1. DryEyez macrumors 6502

So, I'm eligible for an upgrade, but still deciding if I really want to and if so to what....

Until then, I'm sticking with my 3GS...let me start by saying I have searched around and there are many many threads on this, but from the ones I've read no one gave an actual answer to the problem or a solution. So I'm at a lose end.

My iPhone 3GS, when making or receiving a call receives a terrible amount of interference, the person on the other end can't hear it and it's just with this phone. Does anyone have any definitive solutions, besides taking it to apple since it's out of warranty anyway.

Thanks

2. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

I have a 3GS but don't have the problem you're having so I can't offer a definitive solution. However, you could try to reset network settings to see if that helps. To do so, go to Settings>General>Reset and tap on "Reset Network Settings".

Also, I had a different problem with my 3GS (no sound coming through the earpiece) and, despite it being out of warranty, I took it to an Apple retail store and they fixed it in a few minutes and charged me nothing so it may be worth a try in your case.

3. DryEyez thread starter macrumors 6502

I will try the reset network settings now. Thanks for the tip. If I did take it to an apple retail store, would they replace the entire phone for a certain price or? I just feel it would save me time fixing the several individual faults wear and tear has caused.

4. kage207 macrumors 6502a

They will replace it for a fee. The price, I can't say as they might tell you it's $199 to get a replacement phone. Not sure if they can fix the part if it is a part. But I'd at least try to talk to them because if they can fix with with software then it's free.

EDIT: But they will do a restore and a hard restore. Then set it up as a new phone. That's basically what they do there to test to see if it's a software or hardware problem if the scan is not giving them much info.

5. DryEyez thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks very much for the info.

Does anyone have a link to the price list on apple. It shows all the prices and costs of basically replacing your product with a refurbished model for a set fee. I saw it months ago on apples website but I'm unable to find it now...

6. jburns macrumors regular

:eek:
    [​IMG]

7. DryEyez thread starter macrumors 6502

hah, unfortunately no...I still get the crackling/interference :(

8. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

DryEyez, I may have missed it, but what iOS are you running? iOS 4.something or iOS5?

I'm just thinking out loud here, but some of us with the 4S (obviously running iOS5) have the crackling thing going on in our earpiece from time to time. If you're running iOS5 on your 3GS, it may be the first evidence that it is indeed a software issue and not a hardware issue (which would be great, since that's more easily fixed).