iPhone 3GS still a good smartphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrsir2009, Oct 7, 2011.

1. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I'm looking to buy an iPhone, but the iPhone 4 or 4S are getting a bit expensive. The 3GS costs 600 NZD, which is a good price for me. I'm wondering though, the iPhone 3GS is getting a bit old, so will it be a decent smartphone for the next few years? I'll be using it for texting, web browsing, emails, casual games and music...

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Compared to Blackberry's and cheap Android phones, its still pretty good. Just remember its limitations. It very likely will not get iOS 6 next year.

3. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

For your needs it will definitely perform. And Apple announced that it will be selling the 3G(s) new for the third year in a row along with a free software update to iOS 5 which is the newest firmware to date.

4. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Looks like I'll get the 3GS then :) I'm not too worried about it not getting iOS6, as long as it can do what I said above ... So what sort of stuff would the 3GS not be able to do?

5. 2010RS macrumors 6502

Definitely a good phone, you just won't be able to run all the bells and whistles as fast as some of the newer phones.

6. Gamoe macrumors regular

I'm also thinking of going with an unlocked iPhone 3GS (on T-Mobile). The only concern I have so far is that some claim the newest updates make the phone sluggish.

7. andyx3x macrumors 65816

For most people who own or want an iPhone, it's a perfectly good device.

8. guru_ck macrumors 6502

The screen sucks. After having the retina, I could never go back.

9. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

It is a fine and dandy smartphone. It'll have most of the iOS 5 features. But as a smartphone to help you out in daily life, it'll do it's job quickly and reliably. Contrary to what most are saying here, I've seen people who say the 3GS is faster with the iOS 5 update.

Just don't expect to be able to play gyro based games or take pics in low light.