iPhone 3GS still won't boot after DFU restore

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by andrewonfire, Apr 18, 2011.

1. andrewonfire macrumors newbie

So I bought a used iPhone 3GS from a guy who said it was stuck on the Apple logo during boot. I did some research and most results said this was an easy fix so I decided to buy it from him for a pretty good price.

Here's where I am now:

Anytime I connect the iPhone to iTunes, it will recognize it and I'm able to do a restore using both restore methods (regular and DFU), and I've used firmwares 4.3.1 and 4.3.2 and a custom version of 4.3.1 using redsn0w and iPhone pwnage tool and every time the iPhone still hangs on the Apple logo with a spinning wheel.

When I do a restore, iTunes recognizes the device, lets me name it and set up the options, however the device is still stuck on the spinning wheel. It's also interesting to note that iTunes recognizes the iPhone with a capacity of 6.8GB even though it's a 16GB model.

As far as I can tell there is no physical damage to the device.

Any advice on how to fix this issue?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You bought the phone as is and knowing that it was stuck and wouldnt boot?
    Dont you think if he could get it to boot he would do it himself and probably sell it for more money?
    Who knows what could be wrong with it?
    It could have a hardware problem or maybe it has the ipad baseband installed. How are you so sure its a 16GB 3GS?
    Next time be cautious when someone is selling you something and says oh it just needs a DFU restore or the battery is dead take it home and charge it and it works great.