iPhone 3GS stolen - my options here in the US?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nipponfan, Jan 28, 2011.

1. nipponfan macrumors regular

My iPhone 3GS was stolen here in Lansing 2 days ago. I tried to get it back, but no luck so far. It's a orange-locked 3GS which I unlocked myself in Austria. The Phone itself was locked with a passcode, unfortunately I had no simcard in it at the time, so I can't even send a SMS or something. No Mobile Me. Went to police and reported it stolen.

I actually almost gave up on getting it back, chances are slim to say the least. So I'm looking at other options right now. I NEED a new iPhone, for school, work and for staying in touch with home. I can't drag my macbook everywhere. I'll be staying another 10 weeks.

So what are my options here? Can I get a iphone from At&t without a contract? I might take it home, since the dollar to euro exchange rate is good.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can buy one full price in the US but will be locked to AT&T and currently there is no unlock for the iPhone 4 on latest firmware.
    Unless you find an use and already jb and unlocked iPhone on eBay or CL.

3. nipponfan thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm, that's what I feared. How much is the full price for an At&t locked phone? Can I just walk into a store and just get it?

I heard the ones in Canada are unlocked, it would be a 6 hour drive by car for me to get to Toronto. Do they have them in stock or do they have to be ordered?

4. 0815 macrumors 68000

I would try to call AT&T Store or Apple Store in the US or the Stores in Canada before spending too much time in the car.

5. nipponfan thread starter macrumors regular

And this means... What??

6. nipponfan thread starter macrumors regular

So basically it's not as easy as walking into the store and pick up the phone, correct?

7. 0815 macrumors 68000

It should be as easy ... but they might be out of stock or whatever, I would call just to be sure before spending too much time driving around.

Viel Glück

8. nipponfan thread starter macrumors regular

Danke!

9. j.dstasio macrumors 6502

j.dstasio

Why not buy a jailbroken & unlocked used 3GS on craigslist? They run about $250 or so for a good condition 16gb, a bit higher here locally than other cities from what I hear. A good option if you just need it here in the US for a few months. Sell it on craigslist just before you go back to Austria & get 90% to 100% of your money back.

10. nipponfan thread starter macrumors regular

I checked craigslist already, no 3gs under 300. I have never bought a used phone, I'm really neat with my stuff. Like my 3GS that got stolen, it was in great shape (no drops, had it in a case, screen protector). And I actually put it in my jacket, bc I didn't want any dust to come into the speaker/mic as it would when in my jeans pocket. Big mistake, I know now.

Point is, I think used phones are in rather bad shape, especially ones that are that old. But if I get one for around 250 I might reconsider.