iPhone 3GS stuck in an infinite restore

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by kratos61, Feb 21, 2013.

1. kratos61 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have an iPhone 3gs, that was jail broken, and I wanted to sell it. Today, I was going to restore the phone, then redo the jailbreak before selling it.
    I went to the setting to restore the iPhone from the iPhone settings, once I set it to restore, it just went to a screen with a spinning circle, and it has been this way for several hours now. I've tried holding the power and home button together, but nothing happens, and the iPhone isn't recognized by iTunes anymore. I was thinking that I could wait for the battery to die out before turning it back on, but I'm not sure if that will help, and I also don't know how long it would take for the battery to die out considering it was almost fully charged when this happened. It's not even at the apple logo. I just have a spinning circle and it's stuck like that. I've been looking all over the internet for a solution but I haven't found anything at all, so if anyone could help me out here it would be greatly appreciated.

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

First off you should of never hit "reset all settings" from the phone. Put the iPhone in DFU mode and restore. Hopefully the 3GS didn't have iPad baseband on it as well.

3. kratos61 thread starter macrumors newbie

by the time I got to see your reply, the Iphone's battery had already run out of charge. All I had to do was charge it up again and everything was back to normal. It's just that now I wanted to restore it through iTunes and it's now stuck in the restore mode, and iTunes says it can't be restored because of error 21.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Did you have the ipad baseband installed before in order to unlock your 3GS to work on unofficial carrier like the bro asked you above?
    We cant help you if you dont provide enough info.

5. kratos61 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, didn't notice the question. No, I don't have the Ipad baseband installed.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Plug it in to another computer with the latest itunes and try a dfu restore to see if that makes any difference.
    But usually that error you're getting means it has a hardware issue.

7. kratos61 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, the issue is now resolved, but I'm not 100% how. It was stuck on the recovery screen, and I kept getting the error 21 from iTunes. I tried getting it to dfu mode, but I didnt have any success there. I eventually went with tiny umbrella, which help stop the restore, and my iPhone is now back to how it was originally. I just set the restore to be cancel led with tiny umbrella, and the iPhone was back to normal after a while. Thanks for your help here though!:):D