Iphone 3GS stuck in recovery

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by xfaith, Nov 28, 2011.

1. xfaith macrumors newbie

I just got a 3GS from a friend and trying to get it running. It seems to be in recovery loop and cant get out of it.

It might be possible to load IOS5 on it, but I hear that just kills the 3GS, I wanted to try and put 4.3.5 or something like that on it.

I have tried to SHIFT-Restore with a 4.3.3 ipws file but that errors out with a 3194.

Not sure if I have to install 5 and then downgrade? Any idea's that I can use? Going to be using this until my contract is up in January and can switch carriers.

If you need more info let me know. Owner does not know what version was/is on the Iphone believes its 4.0

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Did he have the ipad bb installed by any chance in order to unlock?

3. xfaith thread starter macrumors newbie

I dont think he had it unlocked/jailbroken, sent him a msg waiting for a reply. I thought that to at first.

Do I have to find the exact version he was on to be able to get it usable? and then slowly upgrade from there?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you dont care about a jb or unlock then you can just upgrade to the latest 5.0.1 it will run fine. It wont kill anything.

5. xfaith thread starter macrumors newbie

So the phone was jailbroken at some time, but was restored. Was not sure if he used the Ipad Baseband in the jailbreak.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If he did then restoring or updating to any official firmware will not work and always will error out.

7. xfaith, Nov 28, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2011

xfaith thread starter macrumors newbie

So I should possibly looks for a custom one with the Ipad BB and try that? Im fresh out of ideas.

Does it matter which version I try and push to it? With not knowing exactly what version is on there.

Update--

I tried a few programs
    IDetector= shows its on new boot rom
    iF0recast= nothing shows.
    TinyUmbrella=shows up as a bunch of numbers under recovery. No other info about phone. Tried "Fix Recovery" -- booted in GreenPoison.. Ended on no firmware....60000ms

---need it unlocked. used on Tmobile.....

8. xfaith, Nov 28, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2011

xfaith thread starter macrumors newbie

AppleJuiced, thanks for your inputs on another thread also.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1283419

I followed this one cause its pretty much the same thing that was going on with mine. It looks like 4.1 is installing at the moment. At least its a start. I can go from there. At least it will be working right?

Then I can figure out if I should upgrade to say 4.3.5 and or leave it @ 4.1..

Need to jailbreak, and Unlock so any suggestions past this would be great.

Thanks.

------------------------------

Now in I think Emergency Dial mode
    hmmm next step i think is redsnow or somethig?

9. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

If you don't have SHSH blobs save for 4.3.5, then you can't go to that firmware. You can only go to fw Apple currently signs which is 5.0.1.