iPhone 3GS stuck on apple logo screen (4.1 firmware)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Schmts, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Schmts macrumors newbie

Okay, here's the deal. I've got an iPhone 3GS with the old bootrom. And I wanted to update it to 4.1 with a custom firmware. So, of course I got myself the original firmware and used it with redsn0w and that went smoothly .But when I want to reboot it hangs on the Apple logo screen. Okay, I thought I just get in DFU mode and restore with the modified firmware. Now, I get the 1600 error. So, does anybody got an idea what to do to bring my iPhone back to life?:confused:

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

3. Schmts thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, it has been made before the 40th week, so that should make it have the old bootrom, right?

4. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Download F0recast by ih8sn0w to determine if you have the old or new bootrom 3gs.

5. Schmts thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Junkboxy macrumors member

I forget which error is which, but whenever I had iTunes error during custom IPSW injection, it was because of being on wrong versions - OS X and/or iTunes. Back in the day, i had to updrade both to enable a custom IPSW injection. If you are using iTunes 9 these days, then that will get you an error during custom IPSW injection. The version of OS X may still matter these days:confused: So that is my 2 cents, start by checking your version of iTunes and googling to see if it correlates to the IPSW jailbreak you are trying to effect. Many of the tutorials fail to disclaim upfront which versions of these two things you should be at before jumping in:(

7. Schmts thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, poop! I've got the latest iTunes and am doing this on a mac. Might there be any other way to jailbreak and unlock the phone without upgrading the baseband?

8. Junkboxy macrumors member

For one thing, there is a major distinction between RESTORE mode and DFU mode. You might think you are in DFU (full-blown) when they are actually in Restore (semi). DFU is a blank screen. Restore is a screen with a USB cable or Steve Jobs speaking russian, depending whether is a stock iPhone or pwned iPhone.

IMO you should start all over and use Pwnage Tool, not RedSn0w. Use this tutorial at http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=13001. You'll be repeating the step of building a custom IPSW, but so what. The cool thing with PWnage Tool is that it steps you through putting your iPhone into DFU mode and lets you know if attempt was successful. Once you get into DFU mode, you are stone-free to inject IPSW.

The thing with redoing your iPhone Restore-stye vs DFU-style is that DFU is more root-level and complete. I think Restore is more quick-and-dirty and that Apple's real purpose for it is for users to get their Contacts and Store-bought Apps back onto phone rather than major system-level changes.

One note: At step six, choose No. You already said you don't want or need your baseband changes. No = Leaves it be. Yes = Gives you opportunity to roll in that wacky iPad baseband.

Another note: Every Pwnage Tool jailbreak I've ever done has asked, after the building of the IPSW, if your iPhone has ever been pwned before (my iPhones were earlier models than yours, though). I always followed conservative protocol and answerd NO because that lets you continue on with the DFU-variety injection mode. Answering Yes, would steer you to the shortcut route of Restore-style injection method. You may not get asked this since 3GS is different, but if you do, answer No. The whole point here is to make sure you are going DFU.

9. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

my bootloader is 6.4 so how do you tell if its new or old?

10. Schmts thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay! New problem! Pwnagetools go through the process without a problem, but now when I want to restore it with the custom firmware, iTunes say that "This device isn't eligible for the requested build." What could possibly go wrong in there?

11. Junkboxy macrumors member

do this checklist

Is Pwnage Tool = version 4.1?
    Is stock IPSW using for build = version 4.1?
    Is iTunes = version 10.0.1?

If you answered yes to all of these, then your problem may hinge on the SHSH blob - i.e. not having one on file for 4.1. Check this out - http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=SHSH.

12. Schmts thread starter macrumors newbie

I've got Pwnagetools 4.1.3 Unlock edition,
    the iPhone2,1_4.1_8B117_Restore.ipsw file,
    but I've got iTunes 10.1 .
    Might you know where to find the 10.0.1 version?

13. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Do you have 4.1 SHSH file saved, locally with Tinyumbrella or Cydia? If no, you can only restore / install to the latest firmware, now 4.2.1.

14. Schmts thread starter macrumors newbie

Of course not. I never even got it to the springboard. So, basically you're telling me, that I have to wait for the 4.2.1 unlock&jailbreak?

15. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

If you have the old bootrom and currently unlock baseband, you can use a custom 4.2.1 firmware file ( one that keeps the baseband) to update and still be able to have untethered JB & unlock.

16. Junkboxy macrumors member

If you REALLY REALLY want 4.1, then you should still put together a checklist and make sure you have the right versions, like I said earlier. See this http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100624205346AAAKCxJ You may have the SHSHs backed up but just don't realize it. As a side trip, you could install TinyUmbrella and see what it can tell you. I'd hope that when you plug in your comatose iPhone, that it can still pick up the ID and break off some action.

But having the current iTunes is going to make life hard in trying to install an old IPSW. I downgraded iTunes once myself to pwn an older iPhone, and from the experience I learned never to never carelessly upgrade iTunes in the future.

17. Schmts thread starter macrumors newbie

I do have both of them. Soooo, how do I do that, if you would be so kind to tell?

18. Junkboxy macrumors member

Usually one would wait until the Dev Team released a Pwnage Tool that had the same version number as the ipsw that you are rolling. I.e., I used Pwnage Tool 3.0 to roll my custom 3.0 ipsw. And later I used Pwnage Tool 4.0.1 to build my custom 4.0 ipsw. And later I used Pwnage Tool 4.1 to build my custom 4.1 ipsw.

If past is prologue, then the Dev Team isn't going to release Pwnage Tool 4.2.1 until it is wholly capable of pwning (jailbreaking; retaining/enabling unlockability/hacktivation...the whole 9 yards) the iPhone 4 at 4.2.1.

But I think the current special edition out now that they call PwnageTool_4.1.3_Unlock_Edition might maybe perhaps be able to roll a custon 4.2.1 for a 3GS. Not positive on that, but...

My limited experience with PwnageTool_4.1.3_Unlock_Edition is that it did seem to happily roll a 3G-based custom 4.2.1 ipsw. Thing is, I chickened out and never attempted to inject it into my 3G. Since I'd had so much frustration with the 4 series on my 3G, I decided to be conservative and do what I (thought I) knew what would work in going custom based on 4.1.

If u try and it works 4 u...let us know!