iPhone 3gs stuck on restore mode?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Rogle, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Rogle macrumors newbie

Hey I was *attempting* to downgrade to 4.2.1 from 4.3.2 where I encountered the error 1015 recover loop. I installed fixrecover and get to the point where it boots back into recovery mode. But when I go to Itunes to active it the only option I have is restore. Can someone please help me? I can turn my phone on fine without it being connected to the computer, but when I connect it to the computer it auto goes to recovery mode.

2. need2speed94 macrumors newbie

possible resolution

I recently had some restoration issues myself, I didnt get the same error message but maybe this will work for as well. what i was told to do was go into my iTunes host file and delete the 2 lines that say "gs.apple.com" at the end. if you have no clue what im talking about, this is how you get to that file the easiest way- (on a mac* sorry if you have a PC)

minimize all windows so that your menu bar says "finder" up in the left hand corner next to the apple emblem, click "go" then "go to folder" then type in "/private" in the box. then click "etc" then scroll down to the file that says "hosts" in there, the last 2 lines should be "74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com" and
    "#127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com" if you havent modified it. now **before** you delete these, i suggest copying them and saving them in a word doc just in case. but to fix your problem just delete those two lines and try restoring.

hope this helps

-Marcus

3. need2speed94 macrumors newbie

*restore issues

Since i have been seeing a thread about restoration/recovery mode issues, i thought that i might as well address the issue in a thread instead of trying to reply to all of them, because theres a bunch. this is a solution ive found to work:

Go into your iTunes host file on your computer and delete the 2 lines that say "gs.apple.com" at the end. if you dont know how to do that or what that is, this is how you get to that file the easiest way- (on a mac* sorry if you have a PC), google on how to get to it on a PC, there plenty of sites that show you how.

minimize all windows so that your menu bar says "finder" up in the left hand corner next to the apple emblem, click "go" then "go to folder" then type in "/private" in the box. then click "etc" then scroll down to the file that says "hosts" in there, the last 2 lines should be "74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com" and
    "#127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com" if you havent modified it. now **before** you delete these, i suggest copying them and saving them in a word doc just in case you need them in the future for whatever reason. but to fix your problem just delete those two lines and try restoring again.

hope this helps

-Marcus