iPhone 3GS - Stutters after a few days

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by cosmichobo, Nov 4, 2011.

1. cosmichobo macrumors 6502

cosmichobo

G'day,

I acquired a 3GS a few weeks ago, and would say it's getting maybe 2-3 hours use per day, mostly playing apps like Temple Run etc, Mail, and Safari.

What I am finding, is after a couple days at most, the phone begins to "stutter"... doesn't recognise taps/swipes, games will stall, etc etc...

The resolution I've found is annoyingly, to turn the phone off, and then back on again... (ie restart).

Is this common?

Is there something I should be doing differently?

It's running the latest OS (5), though if there's been any updates in the past 2 weeks, I don't have them installed...

cheers

cosmic

2. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

iOS 5 is the current software version so you haven't missed anything to date.

I, too, have a 3GS and mine does the same thing sometimes and I just attribute it to the phone's hardware being a bit outdated and iOS 5 being more CPU-intensive than previous iOS versions.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Part of the issue is memory management -- it helps to access the task manager and close all the apps that are "open" in the background (even if they're not doing anything). Most of the time, this will speed it back up to normal, although I still reboot mine about once a week or so. It's been like this at least ever since multitasking was added (although IIRC there were similar issues even before, and there were apps to free up memory for the iPhone ever since there were 3rd party apps).

4. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

System Activity Monitor is a great utility app for helping to free up memory, especially on the 3GS since it is so limited. Clearing your multitasking tray helps as well as a soft reset(home+sleep/wake buttons until the Apple logo appears) every once in awhile.

5. cosmichobo thread starter macrumors 6502

cosmichobo

Ahhhhhhh... Ok, just found a squillion apps "running" in the background just looking in the app list... (or whatever the home-button-double-tap list shows).

Got rid of 1/2 them at least... seems haven't used most of them for ages, and I assume they all in fact eat some memory... not to mention of there's any with dodgy RAM coding...

Will consider buying an app to monitor things better later... as the free ones all just seem to monitor only... not offer ability to turn things off... (force quit etc)

Thanks!