iPhone 3GS T Mobile Family Mobile vs T Mobile

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by in2tech, Mar 18, 2013.

1. in2tech, Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2013

in2tech macrumors regular

Alright so after 3-4 years of using a iPhone 3 GS as basically an iPod Touch I decided to activate it with T Mobile. Bought it from a family member when he upgraded to the iPhone 4 for $25.00.

So I went to Walmart since it was Sunday morning to get the sim card and a prepaid plan, but somehow walked out with a T Mobile Family Plan after paying $25.00 which included the sim card (which I needed) in the package, and activation instructions. Activated it but afterwards went online and noticed although it is prepaid it's a set amount of $40.00 for unlimited talk, text, and either 1 GB data or unlimited data, not sure, and billed at the end of the monthly cycle instead of the beginning like a real prepaid. I think it is 1 GB share data and since it's just me the sharing thing doesn't apply to me.

So what was the $25.00 for? I'm I getting to use my phone for a few weeks within the $25.00 before I have to pay the $40.00 for a entire month? Do I have to pay $25.00 and some prorated amount and also the $40.00?

What I wanted when I started this out was to be able to get the $30.00 Walmart T Mobile with 100 minutes talk time, unlimited text and unlimited data.

Have only had it since this past Sunday and need to know before I get too far in what I should be doing.

Of course if it is indeed unlimited everything, talk, text, and data, than the $40.00 is well worth it, and I will keep this plan! Can anyone explain this to me?

What really confusing is the advertising here:
    http://www.walmart.com/cp/Family-Mobile-Webpak-Plan/1083044

Says unlimited and right below that are these words:

"Plan includes 1 GB of shared Web access at 3G speeds. One-time $25 Starter Kit required per line."

Thanks,

2. robertbooth, Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2013

robertbooth macrumors newbie

Walmart wireless associate

The 25 is the activation fee and covers the first month of service. Then your bill will be the 40 a month plus tax. The talk and text will be unlimited . But as far as the inter net I believe you only get 1gb of high speed and after it is throttled unless you pay for more high speed data

3. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

As far as I'm aware, if your area does not have T-Mobile 3G support for the iPhone, then that "fast speed data" won't do any good for you because you'll just be stuck with 2G or edge which is equivalent to dial up speeds

4. in2tech thread starter macrumors regular

Your right my area does not have 3G support yet and it is Edge but I really don't care as long as the data is unlimited. So the 1 GB is just for the faster speeds in areas that offer it so I do have unlimited data on the plan. And if I get an entire month of service for the initial $25.00 and than $40.00 thereafter than I am happy with the T Mobile Family Plan!

So data is unlimited just at Edge speeds for me? Or if they add 3G support it would be 1GB at 3G and the rest at Edge speeds Unlimited right?

Thanks!

5. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

I am not too sure about the pricing.

Yes, you currently have unlimited data at edge speeds. When they do add 3G support for the iPhone, you will get 1GB of 3G data and the rest is throttled 3G data (I think it is throttled to edge but I do hear others saying they get throttled but not to the point of edge speeds so not too sure about the throttling there)

6. in2tech thread starter macrumors regular

Got the Walmart My Family Mobile on March 17,2013, and Walmart associate said the $25.00 fee was for first month service and sim card. Today after paying a prorated fee I called to cancel since my iPhone 3GS lockes up everytime I make a call on it. They said the the amount I paid of $30.18 was for March 17th to April 4th, which makes no sense at all. That means I paid $25.00 + 30.18 = $55.18 for 2 weeks or so of service, and apparently they will try to charge me another $40.00 plus taxes on April 4th. This is crazy as I can go into a T-Mobile store get a free sim card and pick the prepaid plan I want.

What's up with this? The Walmart associate once again said the $25.00 was for the first full month! Than $40.0 per month thereafter!

Not a happy camper :(

Thanks!

7. nickprete11 macrumors regular

I'd go with an AT&T MVNO. It'll be around the same price. As much as I love T-Mobile, they're spotty on older AT&T iPhones.

8. nickprete11 macrumors regular

Try the Cricket $40/month plan, which gives you 500mb of 3G data and unlimited EDGE, plus unlimited talk and text. It's pretty attractive for older iPhone users. Just as a disclaimer here, I use T-Mobile on my 5s and I have the unlimited Simple Choice plan. I think they're great, just not for iPhones that do not support their LTE or AWS HSPA+ networks.