iPhone 3GS text more blurrier than 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LEOMODE, Jul 14, 2009.

1. LEOMODE macrumors regular

i have both right now

and i have 2 problems that's different.

1. the white screen - yes they're not white all across the screen, a little bit more yellowish down to the near home button. i know it's already been discussed but i don't know if this can be solved with the firmware (obviously it's more washed out than 3G too)

2. main problem text reading - it's a little bit more blurrier than the 3G. for instance on skype dialing number, you can totally see it. if you guys want the image, i can upload it upon request.

anyone having the same problem, please share ideas here

2. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS (White, 32GB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

1. This has been discussed, but no one really knows if it's a hardware issue or not. I would suspect that it is, but that's just my opinion.

2. This one sounds interesting. A screenshot would be awesome!

3. LEOMODE thread starter macrumors regular

mavis i see ur in japan, i'm in tokyo japan too lol

well anyway, heres the picture. left is 3G, right is 3GS

its in korean cuz im korean :)

Attached Files:

4. LEOMODE thread starter macrumors regular

well in person, it's more blurrier than the picture...my digital camera is not good in macro :(

5. cmaier macrumors G3

Looks to me like the brightness is just set too high on the right one.

6. LEOMODE thread starter macrumors regular

both are set on the highest brightness :)

7. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

"Blurrier" or "more blurry". "More blurrier" doesn't make any sense.

8. donm527 macrumors member

then lower the brightness on the 3gs to match the other phone then make the comparison.

9. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Ew...that 3GS has horrible colors!:eek:

Glad I still have my 3G. There seems to be too many different problems with the S.

10. LEOMODE thread starter macrumors regular

you can't make it the same as the screen itself is different on both panels. just look at the colors already

no matter how much i try to match it, their colors themselves are already different.

try to focus on the text instead of the brightness.

11. LEOMODE thread starter macrumors regular

but u knew what i intended to say, therefore u tried to fix it. so you don't make any sense that i don't make any sense. haven't gone to america for 10yrs. thanks for ur english correction though :)

12. LEOMODE thread starter macrumors regular

only if i can set the gamma manually. i'm sure the washed out color can be corrected if i set the gamma right.

i can try to live with the colors (as if i think like i never had the 3G)

what's pissing me off is the text. its blurry

13. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

No prob ;)

14. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

It just looks like it more blurry because of the difference in contrast to me.

15. donm527 macrumors member

ok, then from looking at full size pic, it doesnt look "blurrier."

The screen on the right is brighter in that you can see more detail... you can see the pixels more clearly than in the left which may give it a smoother look.

just like taking a pic with photoshop and sharpening the pic one step too much. take it down a notch and it looks smoother. not wrong, just different.

the real comparison is 3gs with another 3gs screen. cant compare 3g with 3gs because they panels are probably different. if that's the case you have to just stop looking at the 3g screen and move on.

16. LEOMODE thread starter macrumors regular

hm well yea i saw it on the website that text actually looks sharper on the 3gs even though it looked more washed out. (pcworld or something)

but in person, as a owner for both, to me it just seems like the text is blurrier than the 3g.
    now, having more pixel technically doesn't necessarily mean that it will look sharper in real life. cuz i would think the same way as you do, but in person the 3gs text looks blurrier.

so whats up with this? well i'm gonna try to go to apple store today and try to compare with other 3gs i guess.
    well i bought it unlocked from australia so its hard for me to get the warranty anyways so either way i probably have to stick with this. but i just hope that other 3gs in apple store is the same...

17. donm527 macrumors member

ok, you got me curious enough to put my 2G (not 3G) side to side with my 3GS with both set to max bright and surrounding lights dimmed...

the 2G looks blue-ier :cool:... darker/cooler... whatever you want to call it. the 3gs is lighter (contrast?) and again lighter shading in icons and see the pixels better.

Again, it's an asthetic thing... the text in the older screen looks darker and smoother... but not 'as crisp'... actually for me it kinda looks too thick.

i actually have been using the old in airplane mode along with the new at times cause i will probably give the old to my six year old daughter to play games on and i never cared to be that specific... again, they probably have a different source for the panels so you cant be that anal about it.

again, compare 3gs to 3gs and see if your point holds... otherwise i think your being too anal and need to put the 3G away and move on and your eyes will adjust fine. expect changes from gen to gen.

18. LEOMODE thread starter macrumors regular

i went to the apple store in japan here

and oh my...my 27week 3gs looked much better than the phones displayed there

unfortunately, all of them were 24week but

i'll say screen was more washed out LOL

and gamma was much better on my 27week. (comparing with 2 3gs and 1 3g, it made me seem as if 3g had fake colors actually, my 3gs was right in the middle for perfection, in terms of white color)

but i couldn't really check the blurryness bcuz they didnt have the skype app installed. but i'm sure its gonna be worse on the 24week

so i guess ill just have to stick with my 3gs, so far no problem at all (no dead pixel, battery good, no cracks, and my 3g had 1 dead pixel) until my applecare expires